Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
quick connect and spaces
Hi all - I'm curious about what seems like a strange behavior of the ASG Quick Connect function which has bothered me for a long time, but I've finally gotten around to asking about today.  I assume it must be intentional, because this has been a feature since Visionapp 2010 at least.

Simply put -whenever I want to copy a servername from some document, spreadsheet or diagram and paste it into the quick connect box, it rarely works.  This is because the default Windows behavior when you double-click to select is to pad the "word" with a space at the end. 

Unfortunately, ASG's behavior is to disallow pasting of space-padded hostnames or IPs into the quick connect window.  The result of this is that I always have to "manually" select the hostname or IP (rather than doubleclick), or paste the name into some intermediate location and re-select without the space.

Fairly trivial on a grand scale, I know, but it's a continuing irritation because I can't break myself of the habit of using the double-click select.  I know I'm not the only one as my coworkers have complained about the same. 

Is it possible to request that the Quick Connect box allow spaces in the future?  Or at least some good reason why spaces can't be allowed, to help put my mind at ease? Smile

Thanks!
I second this suggestion.

I think I already made an addition to this suggstion a while back.
If you allow spaces and split the input field and treat each item as a seperate connection, we can supply multiple hostnames in Quick Connect (fx "server1 server2 server2 server4 server5") and that way be able to faster connect to multiple connections - that would be great.
Thanks for these suggestions ! We will take them all in account for future patches and see what makes sense or what is doable. If you don't mind I would move that thread to "Feature Request" because that category matches better ;-)

best regards,
Michael
best regards,
Michael -- michael.scholz@asg.com --
(25-08-2016, 10:51 AM)Michael Scholz Wrote: Thanks for these suggestions ! We will take them all in account for future patches and see what makes sense or what is doable. If you don't mind I would move that thread to "Feature Request" because that category matches better ;-)

best regards,
Michael

thanks, I have gotten in the happing of pasting the server name into notepad and deleting the trailing space, then pasting that into quick connect.

Maybe when pasting into quick connect, accept the input and let users backspace the trailing space and then hit enter to connect.

Thanks,
Randy