Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BaseItemGet Error
Hi,

A couple of my users have recently been getting 'BaseItemGet' errors when logging into ASG. Looking at other posts on the forums, it looks to be linked to favourites - and I believe it is possible that the issue could be with Orphaned favourites.

I have an AD Sync set up. When I first set this up, I left the 'Field to compare' field as objectSid, however I found that when a new machine was created on the domain that this caused duplicate objects in the Database. I have since changed 'Field to compare' to 'Name'. Where there are duplicate objects, I have manually deleted both objects. I have also run the 'Data Optimizer' and fixed all issues. It was after these actions that the 2 users started experiencing these issues. The other thing to note is that the 2 users have changed their desktop machines. The issues does not occur when they log back into their old machines.

One of the users gets a second error when they RDP to a particular machine from ASG RD. The same error does not occur using regular mstsc with the same credentials from the same machine.

See attachments:
BaseItemGet.png is the error both users see upon opening the application
CannotConnect.png is the error which one user sees when they attempt to open a particular connection.

Thanks,

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

First issue: I think the users have a problem with their saved layout - they should try "Tools=>Reset layout"...

Second issue: Please read the following thread for a solution - http://forum.asg-rd.com/showthread.php?t...light=2056
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
(27-04-2017, 02:08 PM)DevOma Wrote: First issue: I think the users have a problem with their saved layout - they should try "Tools=>Reset layout"...

Second issue: Please read the following thread for a solution - http://forum.asg-rd.com/showthread.php?t...light=2056

Sorry for my slow reply. I can confirm this fixed the users issue.
Hi - I thought I would add this onto this thread, as the initial error is the same. Please let me know if this is not correct.

We are running ASG RD 2017. The client version is: 10.0.5564.0.

I have a user who has started getting the 'BaseItemGet' error message. This has started since a clean boot of their machine this morning, and upon loading the application. Yesterday, I was giving the user some training on the application, and while I was doing this we deleted some private connections which the user had created, as duplicate connections already existed in the database. There were 2 connections, and each existed 2 folder levels down, and were the only connection in each folder, therefore we simply deleted the folder at the root level (rather than deleting the connection first, then deleting the folder in which it resided, and then the folder in which that folder resided). I then showed the user how to create a favourite of the existing connection entity, so that we do not get duplicate connection objects in the database. I believe it is these actions which have meant that the user has started to see errors.

After the user started getting these errors, I have followed the previous post, where you said to 'Reset Layout'. The user removed the favourtes which they had created the previous day, and then Reset Layout. They closed and reopened the application and then started getting the following error "An error occured on executing an sql statement: LogsAdd". I then used the Data Optimizer wizard - it found 1 item with no valid parent, which I fixed, but no other errors. The user then closed and opened the application, but then started getting 'BaseItemGet' again. At this point the user tried resetting their layout again multiple times, and I ran Data Optimizer multiple times, but both errors kept appearing.

I then got the user to log onto a known good machine which they had not logged onto before, however the errors remained, therefore I believe this to be an issue in the database.

Thanks.
Ok, so one user still have this issue? In database mode it should make no difference on which client the user works - there are only a few settings that are stored locally.
In your first post you could see at the bottom / status line "Set layout..." - so the error occurred while trying to restore the layout of the user but a connection could not be found anymore in the database... Are there any details Error log you can post - perhaps I can see more details...
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
(16-06-2017, 10:57 AM)DevOma Wrote: Ok, so one user still have this issue? In database mode it should make no difference on which client the user works - there are only a few settings that are stored locally.
In your first post you could see at the bottom / status line "Set layout..." - so the error occurred while trying to restore the layout of the user but a connection could not be found anymore in the database... Are there any details Error log you can post - perhaps I can see more details...

Hi Oliver, the original users issues were resolved. This is a new user who is having the issue, which seemed similar.

Please see attached an export of the Errors Log from ASG. I have removed the Client and Username for Privacy. I had the change the extension from CSV to TXT as otherwise I was unable to upload.

Attached Files
.txt   ASG Error.txt (Size: 34.09 KB / Downloads: 1,156)
Stupid question (but it really could help :-)) - did you restart the client? From error log I can see that there is a problem with the database connection - once it is already open and throws an error - second error is that the database connection is closed and the sql can't be executed anymore - something went wrong - so it could really help to restart the client to reset database connectivity...
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
(16-06-2017, 01:55 PM)DevOma Wrote: Stupid question (but it really could help :-)) - did you restart the client? From error log I can see that there is a problem with the database connection - once it is already open and throws an error - second error is that the database connection is closed and the sql can't be executed anymore - something went wrong - so it could really help to restart the client to reset database connectivity...

Yes, the user reboots their machine every day. I have just confirmed with them that they did a fresh boot of their device this morning, and the error messages persist.
It's really strange - from the logs I can see that there are a lot of timeouts (so after 15 seconds the query get no result from sql server) - that nearly impossible in the context of getting one item - it's a really simple sql that should return in milliseconds... then other issues are following...

The issue has only one user on one client? Did the user try to work temporary from another machine? At the moment I could only guess that this is related to the client connectivity
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
(19-06-2017, 11:14 AM)DevOma Wrote: It's really strange - from the logs I can see that there are a lot of timeouts (so after 15 seconds the query get no result from sql server) - that nearly impossible in the context of getting one item - it's a really simple sql that should return in milliseconds... then other issues are following...

The issue has only one user on one client? Did the user try to work temporary from another machine? At the moment I could only guess that this is related to the client connectivity

I have tested with the user on a known good terminal server which the user had not logged onto previously, and the error persists. See attached logs from having tested this last week.

Attached Files
.txt   ASG.txt (Size: 3.37 KB / Downloads: 1,114)
The log file begins with an error on adding an error log to the database - so it might help what is going wrong that this entry will be added - I don't think that this entry is really in the logs because the SQL connection is already in use and this throws the next error - but perhaps you can find an error log entry in windows application event log? Or do the user see any error before this issue occur?

One suggestion would be to disable all automatic background operations like "Polling of sessions and Automatic refresh thumbnails in Overview" (Settings=>Connections)
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
(20-06-2017, 02:01 PM)DevOma Wrote: The log file begins with an error on adding an error log to the database - so it might help what is going wrong that this entry will be added - I don't think that this entry is really in the logs because the SQL connection is already in use and this throws the next error - but perhaps you can find an error log entry in windows application event log? Or do the user see any error before this issue occur?

One suggestion would be to disable all automatic background operations like "Polling of sessions and Automatic refresh thumbnails in Overview" (Settings=>Connections)

Is it possible to delete the user from the database somehow???

I will have a look next week at the users application event log.
Yes - in Tools=>User accounts you can delete a user account...
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
(23-06-2017, 08:58 AM)DevOma Wrote: Yes - in Tools=>User accounts you can delete a user account...

As the user was new to using the application, and therefore did not have many settings associated with them, I deleted the user account from ASG as per the above, and the user has confirmed this has resolved the issue.
Wow - great - really strange but good to know that it works now
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
(26-06-2017, 12:24 PM)DevOma Wrote: Wow - great - really strange but good to know that it works now

Hi, I have another user getting the BaseItemGet Error again. This error was preceeded with the 'LogsAdd' error. After the user reported the issue, I have asked them to close the application, and then I have run Data Optimizer, which found and fixed some errors. The user then opened ASG RD, and got the BaseItemGet error. After clicking OK, the user then 'Reset Layout', this closed and reopened the application, but the error remains.

I think that I would be able to delete the users profile in ASG RD, and that this would get rid of the error, however the user has many favourites which they do not want to lose.
If you want you can send me your database - I would replace the users data with my account and see if I get the same error - then we could remove only the data that is causing the issue - I will not be able to see any passwords (because when I change user data the decryption will fail) - asg.rd@asg.com if it less than 20MB - else you should use any cloud drive for transfer...
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
(04-12-2017, 04:18 PM)DevOma Wrote: If you want you can send me your database - I would replace the users data with my account and see if I get the same error - then we could remove only the data that is causing the issue - I will not be able to see any passwords (because when I change user data the decryption will fail) - asg.rd@asg.com if it less than 20MB - else you should use any cloud drive for transfer...

That would be great, thanks. I have compressed and sent the file.
Which user have the problems? Just a name, I will find it :-)
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
(05-12-2017, 11:11 AM)DevOma Wrote: Which user have the problems? Just a name, I will find it :-)

I will e-mail you the username. I have had another user with the same error this morning. In his instance we saw that there was a favourite which had been orphaned (showing a red X next to a personal favourite in the GUI). The user deleted this favourite object, closed and opened the application, and the error went away.

I have tried the same for the first user, but this has not resolved the issue.