Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ASG-Rempte Desktop 2015 Crashing
Hi,

I tried exporting my server list/credentials so I have different configurations.  Now when I try and load the product I'm getting an error message that ASG-Remote Desktop 2015 has stopped working.  I've tried un-installing the software and running cccleaner against my client but without any success.

My machine is running Windows 10 Enterprise Build 10586.545 and I've tried installing Patch 10 and Patch 11.

Any ideas what I can do to resolve the problem as I don't fancy rebuilding my machine.

Thanks,
Having tried a few more things, this is only affecting my user profile as I can log in quite happily as others users. Is there a user file, or registry entry that I can remove to reset my profile.

Thanks
Resolved by deleting the files in c:\users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\ASG-RemoteDesktop\8.0\settings.xml
Hi Paul,
sorry for not beeing fast enough and thanks for sharing your findings with the community !
There is also the "profile.xml" in the same path that contains personal environment settings as well as the license if used in filebase mode.
But strange what happend with your config.. looks like some kind of corruption...

best regards,
Michael
best regards,
Michael -- michael.scholz@asg.com --
Trying to export the settings so as to keep a backup of all my connections.
Every time I click Finish on the Export wizard, vRD crashes.

Running Win 7 Enterprise x64 fully updated
vRD is the latest version and runs in elevated mode (it crashes otherwise upon exiting).
vRD runs in standard mode.

vRD works fine in all other matters.

Windows event viewer app-log events attached.
Please let me know if I can provide more info in order to resolve this problem!

Thanks in advance.

//AvG

Attached Files
.txt   asg-error.txt (Size: 1.06 KB / Downloads: 2)
(19-08-2016, 10:11 AM)Michael Scholz Wrote: Hi Paul,
sorry for not beeing fast enough and thanks for sharing your findings with the community !
There is also the "profile.xml" in the same path that contains personal environment settings as well as the license if used in filebase mode.
But strange what happend with your config.. looks like some kind of corruption...

best regards,
Michael

I'm seeing this too with Win 7.
Sorry for the duplicate post at http://forum.asg-rd.com/showthread.php?tid=10191.

I'll try removing the settings.xml file.
Thanks.
Restarting vRD after deleting settings.xml ask for an environment upgrade, which works fine.
Importing last saved export crashes vRD.

I'll try an older export and see what happens.
Downgrading to vRD 2016 patch 3 gives the same result.

In the import-wizard, if I click any button except the Browse, crashes vRD.
I realise I have quite a few crash dumps from ASGRD in my profile-folder.
Would these be helpful?
Hi Adrian, have you tried to import an older export ? The import environment must be the same version as the export was made with, otherwise conflicts may arise. I'm sorry but the dumps won't be helpful right now. The best would be the same version and security method.
best regards,
(11-10-2016, 02:14 PM)Michael Scholz Wrote: Hi Adrian,  have you tried to import an older export ?  The import environment must be the same version as the export was made with, otherwise conflicts may arise.  I'm sorry but the dumps won't be helpful right now. The best would be the same version and security method.

I did. Should have mentioned that. Sorry.

I used only exports from the corresponding patch-level and the Windows account credentials-choice. Same result.

Only tried vRD 2016 patch 3 though.

I could uninstall the 2016-version and try the 2015 one as well.
Nope. Same thing with v2015p11. Tested three saved exports spaced out over a few months.
Huh. I just managed to do an export to the default location; C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\ASG-RemoteDesktop.

Saving in any other location seems to crash vRD.

Eg:
* c:\tmp which I just created, so should have permission to write to it.
* Personal homefolder on network share.

Edit: Importing from any other location than the default also crashes vRD.
Hi Adrian,

What do you mean with standard mode ? You mean file-based or with database ? If you have to use the elevated .exe then I assume the crash has something to do with priviliges in general. I can't get my Patch4 version to crash by exporting settings in any way but we have to find a way to retrace the problem. So you use Version 9.0.5385.0 elevated in file-based mode ?

Best regards,
Michael
best regards,
(12-10-2016, 08:59 AM)Michael Scholz Wrote: What do you mean with standard mode ? You mean file-based or with database ? If you have to use the elevated .exe then I assume the crash has something to do with priviliges in general. I can't get my Patch4 version to crash by exporting settings in any way but we have to find a way to retrace the problem. So you use Version 9.0.5385.0 elevated in file-based mode ?

Sorry, the terminlogy threw me off.

Yes - file based and running vRD as admin.

Have had no problem earlier. In fact, patch 4 has been running fine till a few weeks ago.

Running vRD as a normal user produces the same result.

May I suggest we merge this thread with this one; http://forum.asg-rd.com/showthread.php?t...1#pid45851?
I found a solution, sort of, and reported back there.
Thanks for your findings Adrian ! I just did as you suggested and merged the two threads - slightly mixed up but should be still readable ;-) Nevertheless it's strange with the crash because I can't reproduce even with changed pathes instead of the default one. Have you used restricted local pathes and/or network locations ? We have to try reproducing such a crash to be able to solve that effect.
Thanks so far and best regards,
Michael
best regards,
(12-10-2016, 10:40 AM)Michael Scholz Wrote: Thanks for your findings Adrian !  I just did as you suggested and merged the two threads - slightly mixed up but should be still readable ;-)  

No prob. :-)

(12-10-2016, 10:40 AM)Michael Scholz Wrote: Nevertheless it's strange with the crash because I can't reproduce even with changed pathes instead of the default one. Have you used restricted local pathes and/or network locations ?  We have to try reproducing such a crash to be able to solve that effect.

Not restricted locally, as far as I know. My windows-account is member of the local admin-group, so writing in any place on the local computer should be allowed.

The homefolder on the network is restricted to my own personal AD-account, with full controll set to files, folders and subfolders.
capture_2016-10-12_10.52.43-redacted.jpg
Security settings on C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\ASG-RemoteDesktop

capture_2016-10-12_10.52.45-redacted.jpg
Security settings on my network share homefolder and the backup subfolder for vRD.

There are some differences, obviously.

You think there are some permissions hokus-pokus going on, causing the crashes?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I just noticed, using the Speedcommander file manager, that the export file I move from the local vRD-settings folder to the network share is owned by "administrator" after the move, not me.

Not sure if this is relevant, though.
Hi Adrian, thanks for your feedback ! Since you started ASG-Rd in elevated mode its correct that the file is owned by the admin ! Thats ok. But we will try to play some "permission hokus pokus" here to see if we can retrace a problem similar to yours.
best regards,