Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can I import an exported .rde file into database based environment?
Exclamation 
okay, so my database server crashed and I had no backup of ASG's database :-(

However, I do have an exported .rde file. It has all the information from my environment. I am able to import that .rde file into a file based environment successfully. I am able to see all my connections there.

However, I really want to import that rde file into a new database based environment I have created. The environment is blank (no connections). Whenever I try to import that rde file into the database based environment, I get this error:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=3209]

I have tried multiple times, rebooted my machine also, also tried to re-export from the file based environment as a CSV and then tried to import.........all result in the exact same problem :-(
What do I do to resolve this problem?  Sad

Is this import not do-able?

-rajdude

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hi rajdude,

normally that should work without problems. I tried that myself with the latest version ASG-RD2016 Patch3 and had no problems importing an rde-file into a new filebased environment, as well as a dB-based environment. First question to you: what version of ASG-RD do you use ? Is the authentication to the new dB the same as in the original dB ? Ah and last but not least: Whith which patchlevel has the export been made and is that the same Patchlevel the import is done with ? Because the dB format changed slighty inbetween. That could be a point of failure.
You could also try the import again one time with activated error log ( Tools-> Settings-> Logs : activate error log ) and post the result.

Thanks,
Michael
best regards,
Michael -- michael.scholz@asg.com --
(23-08-2016, 02:26 PM)Michael Scholz Wrote: Hi rajdude,

normally that should work without problems. I tried that myself with the latest version ASG-RD2016 Patch3 and had no problems importing an rde-file into a new filebased environment, as well as a dB-based environment. First question to you:  what version of ASG-RD do you use ?  Is the authentication to the new dB the same as in the original dB ? Ah and last but not least:   Whith which patchlevel has the export been made and is that the same Patchlevel the import is done with ?  Because the dB format changed slighty inbetween. That could be a point of failure.  
You could also try the import again one time with activated error log ( Tools-> Settings-> Logs :  activate error log ) and post the result.

Thanks,
Michael

Thanks for responding Michael,
I am using version 2016 patch 3, as shown below...

[Image: attachment.php?aid=3215]

Export was done from the exact same version and import is being tried on the same version.

The mode of authentication to the SQL server is being changed. Earlier, it was SQL server auth. Now it is integrated Windows auth. Somehow I could not make the SQL server auth work with this new SQL server installation :-( But windows auth worked fine. I created a blank DB with SQL server and then asked ASG to use that DB and populate it.

I will post the activated error log ASAP here

ok I ran the import with the logs activated..........same error :-(

But now I am trying to find where the logs are being written, I cannot find them in program files, cannot find them in AppData........where are they being written to?
found it!

Here is the error log:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=3216]

Not very useful, eh?
Save

Hi rajdude,

thanks again for your explanations and screenys ! Unfortunately we can't reproduce any problems right now importing rde-files. But there is one thing that makes me wonder: may be thats the source of the problem: you wrote that authentication changed and that you created a blank dB with the SQL server. But that's not our "normal" procedure to create a new dB - the normal way is to create the dB out of ASG-RD with the environment-manager because it's not just creating a dB and rights.. the dB will be "prepared" with tables and stored procedures and these are missing when you create a dB by hand.
So I would advise to create a dB right out of the environment manager and test the import with that dB again.

Best regards,
Michael
best regards,
(24-08-2016, 03:47 PM)Michael Scholz Wrote: Hi rajdude,

thanks again for your explanations and screenys !  Unfortunately we can't reproduce any problems right now importing rde-files. But there is one thing that makes me wonder: may be thats the source of the problem:  you wrote that authentication changed and that you created a blank dB with the SQL server. But that's not our "normal" procedure to create a new dB - the normal way is to create the dB out of ASG-RD with the environment-manager because it's not just creating a dB and rights.. the dB will be "prepared" with tables and stored procedures and these are missing when you create a dB by hand.
So I would advise to create a dB right out of the environment manager and test the import with that dB again.

Best regards,
Michael

Thanks, I can delete and recreate the DB, however I used this option while creating the environment in ASG and thought it would be OK:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=3221]

-Raj
rajdude.com
ok so I tried it, recreated the DB using the other option, (SA permissions one), then I imported the DB, it does import without any problems, but nothing is visible in ASG.
I also checked the DB's tables directly......the data is really there. Why is it not showing up in ASG?

Here is a strange thing........on the credentials page, ASG is giving me an error... see screenshots below...

Fresh environment...

[Image: attachment.php?aid=3222]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=3223]

Import works fine.....no errors:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=3224]

...but nothing shows up.........notice that the earlier folders are gone :-(

[Image: attachment.php?aid=3225]

Here is the error shown while checking credentials > general under "default connection properties"...

[Image: attachment.php?aid=3226]

-Raj
rajdude.com
Hi Rajeev,

I assume there is something wrong with the dB. Whether it's the data that has been imported or the dB itself. You wrote that inbetween you changed the authentication mode from SQL to windows authentication. So I assume the rde-file was created while still using SQL mode and now you use windows authentication to read it in ? . I can't say if that's the source of problems but we can only find out step by step.
First I would again create a new dB and start that empty environment. Then try if you can reproduce the exception-error pointing to credentials. I assume there wont be an error. ( must have to do with the import )
Then create some new connections just for testing and do an export... and try an import. Does that work ?

By the way: what kind of SQL-Server do you use ?
best regards,
Michael
best regards,
RDE files are an export of individual settings for a user - do you login to the newly created database in same way you did with the old one? So I mean like Domain-Account login or Username/Pwd (with same Username)???

That you got errors in a newly created database environment is really strange...

One more - the error message should contain some details (you will get in by double clicking the error log entry) - or in Windows Application Event Log!
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
(25-08-2016, 04:02 PM)Michael Scholz Wrote: Hi Rajeev,

I assume there is something wrong with the dB. Whether it's the data that has been imported or the dB itself. You wrote that inbetween you changed the authentication mode from SQL to windows authentication. So I assume the rde-file was created while still using SQL mode and now you use windows authentication to read it in ? . I can't say if that's the source of problems but we can only find out step by step.
First I would again create a new dB and start that empty environment. Then try if you can reproduce the exception-error pointing to credentials. I assume there wont be an error. ( must have to do with the import )
Then create some new connections just for testing and do an export...  and try an import. Does that work ?  

By the way:  what kind of SQL-Server do you use ?  
best regards,
Michael

ok so here is what I did.....
  1. Deleted the problematic DB
  2. Create a new blank DB using ASG
  3. No exception error in credentials
  4. created 4 new connections
  5. exported to .rde
  6. deleted the 4 connections
  7. imported .rde
  8. got connections back, no problem!
So yeah, something is wrong with that old .rde file.

Now yes, When I exported our full environment, at that time DB was being accessed as a SQL server internal user. However, this new DB is being accessed by my own domain account (integrated windows auth)

So maybe importing credentials is a problem

Is there a way to import the .rde WITHOUT importing the credentials. I only want to import the connections.
-Raj
rajdude.com
(29-08-2016, 03:31 PM)DevOma Wrote: RDE files are an export of individual settings for a user - do you login to the newly created database in same way you did with the old one? So I mean like Domain-Account login or Username/Pwd (with same Username)???

That you got errors in a newly created database environment is really strange...

One more - the error message should contain some details (you will get in by double clicking the error log entry) - or in Windows Application Event Log!

Hi Oliver,
two things:

1. No I did not get errors in a newly created DB environment. I get errors AFTER I import that .rde
2. I checked carefully the windows app event logs, there are no errors there. I did see an event which said something like asg crashed, but that was 6 months old.
-Raj
rajdude.com
OK here is my solution:

I created a new file based environment
I imported that rde into a file based environment.
Then I exported ONLY connections to a .rde
Then I switched to the DB based environment.
Deleted all my test connections so there was nothing in connections
Imported the .rde which had only connections
POOF! All connections are back.
Sure, the credentials are gone, but no biggie!
-Raj
rajdude.com
Ok, we still try to reproduce your issue to solve it for the future
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
Found a bug and fixed it for the next patch...
Regards/Gruss
Oliver