Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smart Card problems
Hi folks,
I have been using ASG for many years with success. Recently the company I work for has implemented smart cards for logons. It is a must/enforced.

I keep having intermittent problems while using ASG with our smart cards.

Smart card based authentication works absolutely fine with Windows own Remote Desktop client software. However with ASG, it comes to a screen where it says insert smart card. Smart card is there, but somehow ASG does not detect it.
Note that this is intermittent. Sometimes ASG also works....but most of the time, it does not :-(

The interesting observation is, the first auth screen in ASG does find the smart card, but the second screen does not. See below to see what I am talking about...

Smart card found:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=3217]

But later on, it does not see the smart card, see...

[Image: attachment.php?aid=3218]

I am using ASG 2016 patch 3

Any tips / solutions?
Save
Save
Save

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

-Raj
rajdude.com
Rajeev thanks for your inquiry, although I'm not happy about the fact that you encountered some problems here. Unfortunately I can't give you a tip right now because I simply don't have the environment to retrace your problem. Hopefully next week we should be able to do so but right now we are still a bit limited because of vacation time. I hope for your understanding - we will respond as soon as we can !
Best regards,
Michael
best regards,
Michael -- michael.scholz@asg.com --
Ok - we have to check that in detail - I have to clarify if we have a working smartcard auth in one of our testing environments...
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
(29-08-2016, 02:44 PM)DevOma Wrote: Ok - we have to check that in detail - I have to clarify if we have a working smartcard auth in one of our testing environments...

ok thanks for looking into this problem.

BTW, If I recall correctly, this was working properly in the last patch. But since I am using a DB based environment, which got upgraded after installing this patch, I do not think I can go back and install the old patch
-Raj
rajdude.com
I don't think that it is related to that patch level - we didn't change the RDP control... Perhaps another problem with Win10 Update? Did you also install Win10 Anniversary Update?
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
(29-08-2016, 04:01 PM)DevOma Wrote: I don't think that it is related to that patch level - we didn't change the RDP control... Perhaps another problem with Win10 Update? Did you also install Win10 Anniversary Update?

Well, this problem has nothing to do with Win 10 or its updates.

Why? Because I have another machine which runs Windows 8.1 and that has exactly same problem with in ASG Smartcards.
-Raj
rajdude.com
Sad 
Hello,
Is there any further information / resolution to this problem?

Due to this problem, I am unable to use ASG for connecting to the machines where PIV/Smartcard is enforced (meaning I am not allowed to use a username/password)

By the way, After installing yesterday's patch, the problem is still the same.
-Raj
rajdude.com
I'm sorry, we do not have a smartcard environment in our company - I investigate some time to see if there are any changes made in the API for Smartcards but didn't find a solution yet...
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
Today, at our company, they have enforced smart card for logon. This renders ASG remote desktop software totally useless. We cannot connect to any of our machines via ASG anymore. Microsoft's own inbuilt RDC client and their RDC manager 2.7 both work flawlessly.

We have paid for licenses and we also pay for maintenance every year.
Is there any formal technical support we can invoke here to get this problem resolved?
-Raj
rajdude.com
Yes - you are right - I will try the next days to find a solution and will answer again...
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
Hello,
Is there any progress on this?

We are still unable to use ASG for remoting into any machine here.
-Raj
rajdude.com
I'm in discussion with my manager how we can continue...
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
We will setup a smartcard environment asap and try to find out what we can do...
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
(10-11-2016, 03:39 PM)DevOma Wrote: We will setup a smartcard environment asap and try to find out what we can do...

Update:
We resolved the problem by checking a checkbox next to "Smart Card" under

(top level) Connections >> properties >> RDP >> Resources >> Redirect the following devices

It was unchecked by default.
-Raj
rajdude.com