Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
vCenter Integration, Linked-Mode
Hello,
we are using ASG-RD 2016 successfully in our enterprise to manage RDP and SSH connections.
Now I want to integrate our vCenter 6.0 inventory with it. The initial integration works fine, I can connect to a vCenter and sync the Vm\folder view and do power on\off operations on my virtual machines.
However, there are some usability issues.
  1. We run more than one vCenter in Linked Mode. Is it possible to leverage Linked Mode, so that the inventory of multiple vCenters is synced? When I sync one vCenter and after that a second one, all previous connections are overwritten. I've tried exporting all connections from the 1st vCenter, syncing the 2nd vCenter and importing the connections from the file. All connections are shown, however it is not possible to use the imported (non-synced) connections. Is it maybe possible to create more than 1 vcenter connection (so there would be more than one connection tree), maybe by the use of a specific connection parameter?
  2. Connecting to the VM Console - do I just have to install the vSphere Client on the same system? Or does it have to be configured as an external application?
  3. I assume there's an option to create a new connection to a remote server and to administer is as a VMware virtual machine (so that you don't have to sync ALL vSphere objects)? So that, after I have created a new connection, I could use VMware options like power\on off and the console. However when creating a new connection I get a greyed out text field (see attached screenshot).
    The VMware role is active.
Thanks!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hi,
Point 1: If you use more than one vCenter you have to create one folder per vCenter. This way it should be possible to sync each folder independently. Don't assign the vMware role to rootobject "connections" - that prevents that you can assign different folders. We changed the functionality in Patch4 of ASG-RD to prevent exactly that: it is not possible any more to set the vmware role to the rootobject !

Point3: I assume Point 3 is a follow-up error of Point 1: you should be able to create as many Vmware-objects as you like and sync them independently. I also assume you tried to create a new connection inside of a synced object - so the comment "unbekannt/keine gültige Referenz" makes sense: this connection is the result of a Vmware-sync-object ! You can however create a new connection in a synced folder but you have to carefully set the options of the vMware folder how to handle orphaned connections, otherwise they will be deletet on the next sync !

Point2 : yes - just install the vSphere client locally. You don#t have to create an external application.
Hope that helps,

best regards,
Michael
best regards,
Michael -- michael.scholz@asg.com --
(27-10-2016, 03:09 PM)Michael Scholz Wrote: Hi,
Point 1:  If you use more than one vCenter you have to create one folder per vCenter. This way it should be possible to sync each folder independently. Don't assign the vMware role to rootobject "connections" - that prevents that you can assign different folders. We changed the functionality in Patch4 of ASG-RD to prevent exactly that: it is not possible any more to set the vmware role to the rootobject !

Point3:  I assume Point 3 is a follow-up error of Point 1:  you should be able to create as many Vmware-objects as you like and sync them independently. I also assume you tried to create a new connection inside of a synced object - so the comment "unbekannt/keine gültige Referenz" makes sense:  this connection is the result of a Vmware-sync-object ! You can however create a new connection in a synced folder but you have to carefully set the options of the vMware folder how to handle orphaned connections, otherwise they will be deletet on the next sync !

Thanks, that worked!
I have
- removed the VMware role from the root connection object,
- created a new folder for each vCenter,
- assigned the VMware role to them,
- synced the vm-folder structure using the folder settings.