Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Howto req-extapp to open a new connected adhoc tab
Ok, bear with me.

We are implementing CyberArk.  To integrate this into ASG-RD, we create a connection which as a connection field of

Cyberarkgateway.domain.loc

Then on the RDP connection attributes, on the program line, we put:

psm /u proxyaccount1@domain.loc /a  servername /c PSM-RDP

This launches a passthrough RDP session to "servername", using proxyaccount1 which is retrieved from the Cyberark store if the user authenticating has privs to it.

The problem with this is that I need to create an actual connection object, with a few steps/hand edit, for each server.  When you're used to using ad-hoc connections by just typing in the server name, this is a pain but it's also a pain to create new connections - minus Cyber-Ark, you say new connection and put a name in and you're done,  no copying strings to the program line and editing.

What I would LIKE to do is two-fold:

1. Feature request - I wish that the Programs/"executable path" field would support variables the way that the extapp General fields do.  This would let me turn the above into:
psm /u proxyaccount1@domain.loc /a  %NAME% /c PSM-RDP

Then you could just copy connection objects, rename them, and they would pass in the correct info dynamically.  Much simpler for creating objects.

1a.  Even better, if you had a special token in your connection object that flagged to ASG-RD that it needed to query for a value,  you could make a connection object that would ask you for this value.  psm /u proxyaccount1@domain.loc /a  &PROMPT1& /c PSM-RDP

2.  Perhaps easier to implement, as the above will involve some complexity, is there a way of calling a command that will initiate a new connection/create a new connection tab within the existing ASG-RD instance, via an extapp?  If there is, it would let us use a static object and call an ext app against it), then initiated a new connection tab along with the dynamic program line.  This doesn't help the prompting for a name for an ad-hoc.

Ext. Application\Options\Filename = C:\PATH\ASGRD.EXE -INSTANCE 1 -NEWTAB %NAME% [-credential %CREDENTIALSDESCRIPTION%] -PROTOCOL rdp -executablepath "psm /u proxyaccount1@domain.loc /a %NAME% /c PSM-RDP" -startfolder ""

Does anyone know if there's already a way to re-call ASG-RD to create a new connection tab dynamically like this?

We have one remaining sharp edge to this, in that the "proxyaccount1" needs to be uniquely in use on the target server.  A variable that was random in a range would reduce these collisions but that's asking for an unreasonable feature unless people can think of more use-cases.
Did you try to use "ext app variables" - you can use a lot of data of your connection and assigned creds to call an ext app with parameters - just have a look into the help file - I think most of your issues should be not really a problem

Ext App can be "tried" to integrate as tab - but it depends on the app if this is working or not - you can try - but in you case it might be better to define your ext app once, configure your connections and run the ext app with the connection info...
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
(04-11-2016, 03:11 PM)DevOma Wrote: Did you try to use "ext app variables" - you can use a lot of data of your connection and assigned creds to call an ext app with parameters - just have a look into the help file - I think most of your issues should be not really a problem

Ext App can be "tried" to integrate as tab - but it depends on the app if this is working or not - you can try - but in you case it might be better to define your ext app once, configure your connections and run the ext app with the connection info...

Of course - that was the point of my indication that an Ext App is probably the easier way to go, but with an ext app, we need to have a command to call which will do the job, which was quite specifically my question.  The Ext App has the variable support needed to do this - I've even given an example of the variable we need to use - (variable support isn't in the regular connection object - feature request!).  But I need to be able to either call ASG-RD itself to add a tab, or call something like mstsc.exe and integrate - I don't think this is possible as we need to dynamically insert the command string into a temporary config file using a script, then feed that to mstsc which would launch, and would break the context of ASG-RD trying to capture the windows to insert it in a tab.

Does anyone have a demonstrated method for doing anything similar?
(05-11-2016, 12:04 AM)kgouldsk Wrote:
(04-11-2016, 03:11 PM)DevOma Wrote: Did you try to use "ext app variables" - you can use a lot of data of your connection and assigned creds to call an ext app with parameters - just have a look into the help file - I think most of your issues should be not really a problem

Of course - that was the point of my indication that an Ext App is probably the easier way to go, but with an ext app, we need to have a command to call which will do the job, which was quite specifically my question.  The Ext App has the variable support needed to do this - I've even given an example of the variable we need to use - (variable support isn't in the regular connection object - feature request!).  But I need to be able to either call ASG-RD itself to add a tab, or call something like mstsc.exe and integrate - I don't think this is possible as we need to dynamically insert the command string into a temporary config file using a script, then feed that to mstsc which would launch, and would break the context of ASG-RD trying to capture the windows to insert it in a tab.

Does anyone have a demonstrated method for doing anything similar?

I bet you managed to solve the problem with parameterizing the alternate shell for use in CyberArk since the time it was reported. Can you share the receipe please?