Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
*Solved* Export and restore
Hello
I'm on version 9.0.5385.0
Trying to get a local copy gave me some strange behaviours (I Think).

This is what I did:
1. I choosed to Export to a .rde-file since that can have all data included.
2. Next to check my copy I opend the enviroment manager and choosed to Add from file.
3. the file-path only accepts XML and not the RDE file that I exported.
4. Easy solution, rename the file to .xml and hitting Next.
5. A varning "Use Existing file? The specified file already exists. Do you want to use the existing file for the enviroment?"
    - What does that actually mean? I am opening a file for a new enviroment, of course the file exists.
6. Choosing yes
7. Now I have to set a password for my new enviroment
8. Opening the new File-based Enviroment with my set password
9. All Credentials is missing
10. All Connections is still there
11. Adding a Connection and a Credential
12. closing the Enviroment
13. Deleting the new File-enviroment.
14. Adding a new File-enviroment, same varning about existing file
15. the new Connection and Credential is there

Questions:
Why is not .rde a valid file for a new enviroment?
Why do I get the Existing File varning?
Why is not my credentials exported?

/Anders
Hi,

I tried to reproduce your problem and could'nt retrace the problem until I read your thread again: you made a mistake on the import ! You can export/import only with these both items in the menu. The environment Manager is not for importing the exports ! In the Environment-Manager you just add environments you work with : file-mode and database-mode environments !
If you want to import the *.rde file you just have to use "Ctrl-I" (import) or "Ctrl-E" (export) respectively the menu "Environment" ->"Import" but dont start the Environment Manager !

[Image: attachment.php?aid=3267]

Hope that made it clear ;-)

Best regards,
Michael

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

best regards,
Michael -- michael.scholz@asg.com --
Hi, thank you for your reply

So if I want a local copy of my enviroment on a USB I need to first create the file-enviroment and then Open it and Import from the *.rde-file.
I will try that.

A feature request would be to create a new enviroment from an exported file without going thrue the create/import step. Smile

/anders
Hi Anders :-)

I think we have something that should cover your needs ;-) You already have two options:

1.) you can switch the program to "offline-mode". Then a local copy of the actual db-state will be created and you can use ASG-RD without dB connection.
2.) you can create a "portable" version - thats exactly what you wanted...a "stick-version" you can copy to an USB-device and use everywhere.

You can find both items in the mainmenu "Environment".
;-)

[Image: attachment.php?aid=3269]

best regards,
Thank you
I need to read the manaul about the portable version.
Just starting portable version it say: "When creating a portable version this version will also Point to the databas. To use this verions you need access to the database!"
The Offline is only work if i hav emy computer with me Sad

We have had incidents where the fileserver with my enviroment is unavailable and then I'm pretty lost Sad
So now we have bought USB with PIN-code and here I will put my information.

Ideally would be if I could create a separate enviroment on the USB, but when I try to create a new File-enviroment it is looking for the local "enviroment.xml" on my computer.
Am I missing something here?
I might not have my computer with me but the USB will be "handcuffed" to my belt at all time.

"Portable Pro" would be for me to have asg.exe and db/file-enviroment on USB to start on any compouter.
then I could just export the live enviroment at regular Schedule and import it on the USB.

/Anders
Hi Anders,

I think the best way for a "portable" version is to use a file-mode environment togeter with a personal password - thats what you can read in the online-manual as well. But for your scenario I think the standard "offline" mode would fit better if you need to sync with the network dB. You just have to enable the offline mode and you never need the database connection to be able to work with it. But when availabel you can sync !

To create a file-environment you can do an export of the actual db-environment data and then you open the environment-manager and choose "Add" -"file" and then give it a name and rename the settings.xml for that environment ( see screenshot ). Then you have a clean filebased environment and you finally can import the exported data from the db-environment by simply clicking "connections" on the navigation tree and "import" while right clicking. Then choose the *.rde-file you exported before. If you need to use the software without the need to install it locally you can then create a portable version of it at any time. Please keep in mind to change the encryption mode to personal password then ;-)

Best regards,
Michael
[Image: attachment.php?aid=3271]

best regards,
Thank you
I think I have got it to work now.

I used the second suggestion.
A new enviroment, moved the enviroment.xml to the usb and imported the Connections.

Thank you for your help.