Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
*Solved* ASG wont start if USB-stick enviroment is not present
Hello
Refering to thread: *Solved* Export and restore

I have created a file enviroment on USB-stick and I also have a DB-enviroment on a server.

If I use the USB-enviroment and close ASG, remove the USB-stick then ASG wont again until I insert the USB-stick.

When the USB-stick is present I can start ASG, the login-page appears and I can open the enviroment manager and choose my DB-enviroment instead.

If ASG at startup cannot find an enviroment, why don't the enviroment manager start instead?

/Anders
If you use a "portable version" of ASG-RD all program and data files are copied to usb or any other location - if you start from this location the program detect a file that only exits if it is in portable mode - and ASG-RD starts in that mode.

If you then start ASG-RD from the "install folder" this file do not exists and ASG-RD starts with last used environment in "normal mode"

This is how it should work and I tried myself and it is working. Do you really start ASG-RD from usb-location and from install directory depending in which mode you want to start?
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
Thank you.
I only used the locally installed ASG to open the enviroment on the US-stick.
I opened the USB-enviroment and created a portable version and I can open that direct from the USB-stick.

Now I have two enviroments & installations
1. Locally installed on PC with DB-enviroment on server
2. Portable with Offline-mode active (Manual routine to open/go online to sync Changes/go offline)

But I am still confused over the behaviour of ASG when I start the locally installed ASG and my USB-stick is not present.
Nothing happens when I try to start ASG, I was about to reinstall it when I just tried to insert the USB-stick.
you say:
"If you then start ASG-RD from the "install folder" this file do not exists and ASG-RD starts with last used environment in "normal mode" "
The problem is that the last used enviroment is not present anymore since its on the USB-stick.
Why dont I get an error-message?
Why don't the enviroment manager open instead?

/Anders
I can check this - but your are not using it as designed - usb version is packaged that it can be used separately on this usb device - you don't need to add an environment that refers to your usb stick - you can do this, but then you should not use the portable version for that...
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
Ok, there is a bug in the start process - we will fix that with the next version
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
Hello
I am not sure if we missunderstand each other

My problem from thread *Solved* Export and restore is now solved with Portable Version.
In my first post I tried to work with two different enviroments.
One on the USB-stick for backupp and one on a DB server.
I had only ASG installed locally on my PC, No Portable version.

After your reply I have now Wiped my first USB-enviroment from *Solved* Export and restore and I have
from the DB-enviroment created a Portable version that I only start from the USB-stick.
I have set the Portable-enviroment to Offline so I can start it without connection to the DB.
I will regulary open the Portable enviroment and set it Online to sync any changes and then put it Offline again.

Is this the correct way to do it?

My initial question in this post still remain:

If I create a file-enviroment on a USB-stick and a DB-enviroment  and only have ASG installed locally on my computer.
I work with the File-enviroment on the USB-stick and then close it and remove the USB-stick.
Now I want to open the DB-enviroment but ASG wont open until I mount the USB-stick in the computer.
No error message and nothing happens.

Why don't the enviroment manager open if ASG cannot find the latest enviroment?

/Anders
1. No that's not the way you should do it :-)

You can work with DB environment - the availability of your database is checked automatically - if it is not available => offline mode will start - to ensure that this happen even if you start ASG-RD without available database connection you can activate the setting "Application=>Offline mode=>Automatically save offline data when ending the program" - so you can ensure you always have your right data available - and you can always sync your data if you are meanwhile working offline. So you don't need any portable version...

2. Your initial question I answered in last post - yes it is a bug and we it's already solved (for the next patch)
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
Sorry for late reply.
I missed your reply about the bug, thank you for fixing that.

I have already done the  "Application=>Offline mode=>Automatically save offline data when ending the program"-setting on my computer.

The problem we had was that the asg-enviroment was unavailable due to "server-meltdown" and I did not have my computer at hand. Sad
Therefore we started to look at a secure portable option to backup important information for admins and went with the usb w/ pin.
Here we have saved our admin Tools, among them asg.
Now I can use "any" computer and from the usb open the portable asg-enviroment or other tools I need at the moment.

Thank you for your help.