Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Replacing putty with win32-openssh
Is there any plan to replace putty with win32-openssh? This would be preferable as it is the supported Microsoft version. https://github.com/PowerShell/Win32-OpenSSH
Hi,

I never heard of that project before, but after having a quick look on the github project page it seems it's an SSH (server) implementation to windows. Putty is a client to access SSH servers. So this is not a replacement for putty. Please correct me if I´m wrong ;-)

Best regards,
Michael
best regards,
Michael -- michael.scholz@asg.com --
(16-11-2016, 03:24 PM)Michael Scholz Wrote: Hi,

I never heard of that project before, but after having a quick look on the github project page it seems it's an SSH (server) implementation to windows. Putty is a client to access SSH servers. So this is not a replacement for putty. Please correct me if I´m wrong ;-)

Best regards,
Michael

Michael,

It is both. It is a completly opensource Windows Implementation of OpenSSH. It uses native Windows Cryptography APIs rather than the OpenSSL ones. It works the same as the OpenSSH client.
Thanks for your feeback

Unfortunately I did not find any information in the net on how to use win32-openssh compared to putty. How to open a shell on a remote box, or how to organize connections like you can in putty..or use machines as gateways, tunneling and stuff like that. Right now putty still seems to be THE most used "standard" here. But I think we are open to any new options that turn up :-)
Do you already use this win-implementation ? I will definitely have an eye for it ;-)

Best regards,
Michael
best regards,
Michael -- michael.scholz@asg.com --