Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AD sync and credentials
ASG Remote Desktop 2017 version 10.0.5564.0
File based environment
Windows Server 2012R2
Domain joined with NON ADMIN user

I'm trying to sync connections based on servers in a specific OU in a domain which my machine is NOT joined to (I finally succeeded but still have some questions/suggestions)

- In Tools - Settings - Environment - Domains
  I added a domain supplying domain name, username and password (I don't like saving passwords but seems I do not have the option to NOT store it here)

I created a new connection folder, added role Active Directory and tried to setup a sync.
Source Type: OU

On selecting the source it showed the domain I'm joined to as well as the added 'Untrusted' domain. This is good but the fact that the first domain shown is expanded pushed the other
one 'out of sight' (I won't write here how long it took me to find out the domain I was looking for was already there :-) ).

So suggestion would be (if possible): don't expand the domain(s) in the 'select an OU' window.

Because I assumed (yeah I know) that providing the credentials for the 'Untrusted domain' would be used for syncing too (they seem to be used for selecting the OU) I set 'Credentials' to
'None'.
Unfortunately this makes the sync fail.

Next step I selected my - already present - credential for the 'Untrusted domain' (NOT the one in Settings but the one under 'Credentials').
As I wrote before I don't like to save passwords (especially not those of important admin accounts) so all my Credential objects are setup with 'Always prompt for password'.
Seems this makes the sync go wrong too with a 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object' error.

Suggestions:
- make it possible to use a Credential without saved password
- and/or use the already stored credentials for 'Untrusted domain'
- change the error message to something pointing in the right direction (need to say the log is a little more clear but still...)

Finally, perhaps better documentation around this useful feature (syncing, multiple domains) would be helpful. That said, I might not have searched well enough.

Question: am I missing something obvious here? Is it already possible to use sync without storing passwords (in multiple places)?
BTW: I use manual syncing. I don't care yet about automating that part.

Thanks for the product and thanks in advance for replies.
Hi

I will add your suggestions to my task list and will see what can be implemented with the next version. Your suggestions are welcome...

And I think the answer to your last question is NO - let's see how if we find a solution for that too
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
Quote:Next step I selected my - already present - credential for the 'Untrusted domain' (NOT the one in Settings but the one under 'Credentials').
As I wrote before I don't like to save passwords (especially not those of important admin accounts) so all my Credential objects are setup with 'Always prompt for password'.
Seems this makes the sync go wrong too with a 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object' error.

Suggestions:
- make it possible to use a Credential without saved password

Thanks for fixing this! (tested in 10.1.5630.1)