Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using Microsoft RDS gatway - hangs ASG on session exit
So I tried to reproduce the problem over an RD-GW session and I indeed could find tcp sessions with akamai as target, but I only found them after restarting ASG-RD. And the connect to akamai was only made during the start of the RDP Session via GW.No connect occured on disconnect. I tried 15 sessions or so and they showed the same results. If I start again a session without closing ASG-RD completele NO connects were visible. I used wireshark to trace the network connections.
If I simply drop the network connection whith an open RDP session via RDPGW then just the screen of the session freezes but I can immediately close the session and nothing freezes. I used Win10 1607 and ASG-RD2017 P2 for the test. But I see the akamai sessions always occur regardless of the settings on the first session after ASG-RD was restarted.
Maybe I will try to reproduce that with mstsc.exe... should be the same behaviour...but I will retest that.
regards,
Michael
best regards,
Michael -- michael.scholz@asg.com --
OK ...just verified that with mstsc.exe :
testing with auto detection of connection quality : tcp sessions to akamai visible
testing with disabelt autodetect ( set to 10Mbit Wan ) : tcp sessions to akamai visible
For both sessions only on session connect the the akamai connects occur - none on disconnect. So thats the same behaviour in ASG-RD.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

best regards,
(13-10-2017, 04:04 PM)Michael Scholz Wrote: OK ...just verified that with mstsc.exe :
testing with auto detection of connection quality :  tcp sessions to akamai visible
testing with disabelt autodetect ( set to 10Mbit Wan ) :  tcp sessions to akamai visible
For both sessions only on session connect the the akamai connects occur - none on disconnect. So thats the same behaviour in ASG-RD.

With MSTSC the issue is not noticeable, because the process continues to run till Akamai CDN connection times out in the background and new process of MSTSC is not affected. But on ASGRD.exe waits for disconnection to complete (including Akamai CDN ) before accepting UI actions.
As a workaround , you can keep 2 ASG RD windows , when one is hung use 2nd.
Thanks for your workaround. Unfortunately I could not retrace the hung session in my system. But I think we understand your problem and we will try to simulate and improve behaviour if thats possible with the rdp-component. Best regards,
Michael
best regards,
(26-10-2017, 02:18 PM)Michael Scholz Wrote: Thanks for your workaround. Unfortunately I could not retrace the hung session in my system. But I think we understand your problem and we will try to simulate and improve behaviour if thats possible with the rdp-component. Best regards,
Michael

Did anyone ever get anywhere with this topic? Affecting all our Windows 10 Desktops that use ASGRD on log off using RDP Gateways?

Thanks in advance..
If you have a problem please open a new thread - because I can't see that the old thread has the same topic as your issue?!? How do you log off? Using ASGRD function or do you log off your session inside your remote windows session? Which version of ASGRD do you use...
Regards/Gruss
Oliver