Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ASG 2012 / SQL 08 update / migration to current ASG / SQL 16 support
Hello, it's ChengJian YE, a new ASG RD / Visionapp admin in a company.

The current ASG RD / Visionapp handled over to me is v2012, which didn't support Win2K12/16 well.
And SQL server is v2008 on a Win2K8 server, which should be retired because of Microsoft policy.

So I plan to update / migrate both client version and SQL server.
Can ASG guys give a hand?
Thank you.

1. Client software
    1) What is current ASG RD / Visionapp client version? to support both Win7 & Win10.
    2) Does the current version support multi-language? If multi-language supported, how to configure which language in use?
    3) How can I find / download the installation package?

2. SQL server
    1) The only SQL server supplied by DBA team is "SQL server 2016 with SP1", is this version ok?
    2) The SQL server should be on a standalone server, or just an exclusive instance is ok?
    3) Latin1_General_CI_AS (recommended by DBA team, and is current SQL 2008 setting) or SQL_Latin1_General_CP1-CI_AS ?
    4) Is it possible to migrate the Database on old SQL server 2008 directly to new SQL server 2K16, such as a script?
    5) It's told that a script is required to create new database on SQL server v2008. Is a script still required on current version?
Hi,

here are my answers :-)

Client
1) current version you find always here http://forum.asg-rd.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=80
2) English and German are still the two available languages for UI - each user can set the language itself (or predefine in profile.xml when using software deployment)
3) => 1)

SQL
1) SQL 2016 is supported
2) You can use it as you want - also SQLExpress would be OK
3) OK
4) Yes, because migration from 2012 to a newer version is running different - you need to create a new envionment/database for your current version and then specify the old 2012version database - the data will be transferred
5) You always need to create the database from ASGRD-Environment Manager - then all scripts are executed automatically, StoredProc and tables will be created...
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
(30-01-2018, 08:59 AM)DevOma Wrote: 4) Yes, because migration from 2012 to a newer version is running different - you need to create a new envionment/database for your current version and then specify the old 2012version database - the data will be transferred

Hello Oliver,

Can you specify detailed steps to migrate SQL server?
Thank you.

Here is my situation for test:
Source: SQL server 2008 (Productive environment)
Target: SQL server 2016, empty (Quality Assurance environment)
Client: my laptop, without any ASG RD installed
You need to install the latest version you want to use - create a new database environment (then a new database will be created on your SQL Server) - connect to your newly created environment and select Environment=>Upgrade from 2012 - there you can specify your old database! That's it...
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
Hello, Oliver

My new SQL server 2016 is ready for test environment.
But I cannot find "Environment=>Upgrade" command, could you give a hand?
Thank you.

Please use ASG-RD to upgrade - not MS SQL Server! Then you will find Environment=>Upgrade from 2012 - but if you only want to copy your database from one server to another you should use Backup / Restore inside MS SQL Server (upgrade is for ASG-RD version 2012 to 2015 or higher)
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
Hello, Oliver,

When I tried to connect to new Test SQL database, it failed.
I check the authorization, test account is db_owner.
Could you see what's wrong?
Thank you.

new test database? In your attachment I only can see "Connection check successful"?!?
What are you try to do? Create a new database for version 2018? Then you have to create a database inside with ASG-RD environment manager..

Just upgrade to your 2018 version? Then I can't see what's going wrong - because the connection test was successful?
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
Dear Oliver,

Sorry missed another screenshot.

Did you create the database via EnvironmentManager=>Database=>Create database (SQL Server)? Or is it only an empty database that you created in MSSQL Management Stuido?

Because if you created the database within ASGRD you should be also able to access it later on...
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
Dear Oliver,

Thanks. Now I used ASG RD 2018 to create a new environment/SQL DB, then "upgrade of 2012 environment..."
It worked, an old SQL 2K8 configuration was transferred into ASG RD 2018.
But I found ASG RD 2018 cannot directly use old SQL 2K8 database/environment?
To use ASG RD 2018, upgrade/migration old SQL 2K8 into new SQL 2K16 is the only choice?
And in my company, we use AD group for access control. How to remove "public" in SQL DB?
Thanks.

Yes ASGRD (after 2015) uses a complete different data structure - so you need to upgrade your data else you can't access it...

Please try to read the help file - press F1 - if you goto Environments=>Database you will find detailed instuctions how you can configure your database access / security roles.
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
Dear Oliver,

Thank you. I think I found this setting.
By the way, after "Active user permissions" enabled, does it mean that a DBA with db_owner permission, but not configured in "Security Groups", he cannot use ASG-RD to link this environment / database?

Yes - only users that are assigned to any security group can access the database (within ASG-RD) - of course you can still access it via MS SQL Management Studio with a database admin :-)
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
Hello, Oliver,

Could you help me how to fill in the "User Name" when configure database environment?
From the screenshot, you can see, if I "Run as" ASG-RD with my admin account "eu.boehringer.com\x2yc77034pa", it works fine.
But if I run ASG-RD with my primary account, then fill in "User Name" with my admin account, it never successed.
I tried "eu.boehringer.com\x2yc77034pa" & "x2yc77034pa@eu.boehringer.com", both failed.
Thank you.

SQL Server supports two authentication methods

1. with your current Windows Account
2. with internal database user login / password

So you can't specify a domain user - if you use Windows Integrated Auth only your current Windows Account is used. Else you need a database internal login.
Regards/Gruss
Oliver