Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ASG 2012 / SQL 08 update / migration to current ASG / SQL 16 support
Hello, it's ChengJian YE, a new ASG RD / Visionapp admin in a company.

The current ASG RD / Visionapp handled over to me is v2012, which didn't support Win2K12/16 well.
And SQL server is v2008 on a Win2K8 server, which should be retired because of Microsoft policy.

So I plan to update / migrate both client version and SQL server.
Can ASG guys give a hand?
Thank you.

1. Client software
    1) What is current ASG RD / Visionapp client version? to support both Win7 & Win10.
    2) Does the current version support multi-language? If multi-language supported, how to configure which language in use?
    3) How can I find / download the installation package?

2. SQL server
    1) The only SQL server supplied by DBA team is "SQL server 2016 with SP1", is this version ok?
    2) The SQL server should be on a standalone server, or just an exclusive instance is ok?
    3) Latin1_General_CI_AS (recommended by DBA team, and is current SQL 2008 setting) or SQL_Latin1_General_CP1-CI_AS ?
    4) Is it possible to migrate the Database on old SQL server 2008 directly to new SQL server 2K16, such as a script?
    5) It's told that a script is required to create new database on SQL server v2008. Is a script still required on current version?
Hi,

here are my answers :-)

Client
1) current version you find always here http://forum.asg-rd.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=80
2) English and German are still the two available languages for UI - each user can set the language itself (or predefine in profile.xml when using software deployment)
3) => 1)

SQL
1) SQL 2016 is supported
2) You can use it as you want - also SQLExpress would be OK
3) OK
4) Yes, because migration from 2012 to a newer version is running different - you need to create a new envionment/database for your current version and then specify the old 2012version database - the data will be transferred
5) You always need to create the database from ASGRD-Environment Manager - then all scripts are executed automatically, StoredProc and tables will be created...
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
(30-01-2018, 07:59 AM)DevOma Wrote: 4) Yes, because migration from 2012 to a newer version is running different - you need to create a new envionment/database for your current version and then specify the old 2012version database - the data will be transferred

Hello Oliver,

Can you specify detailed steps to migrate SQL server?
Thank you.

Here is my situation for test:
Source: SQL server 2008 (Productive environment)
Target: SQL server 2016, empty (Quality Assurance environment)
Client: my laptop, without any ASG RD installed
You need to install the latest version you want to use - create a new database environment (then a new database will be created on your SQL Server) - connect to your newly created environment and select Environment=>Upgrade from 2012 - there you can specify your old database! That's it...
Regards/Gruss
Oliver