Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hardened Environments
Firstly, I would like to take a moment to thank you for producing such excellent software tool! Our Company and I have been your very satisfied customers for several years. Smile
I decided to write to you explaining a complicated situation because we may not be the only Company in this predicament. I’ll keep it as short as possible.

The type of work we do requires complying with quite tight regulations and very hardened security configurations. Among other things, we have an enforced Group Policy in both servers and workstations and two of these settings interfere with our usage of ASG Remote Desktop.

The most problematic is: Local Computer Policy->Computer Configuration->Administrative Templates->Windows Components->Remote Desktop Services->Remote Desktop Session Host->Security->Always prompt for password upon connection
And there is also this one: Local Computer Policy->Computer Configuration->Administrative Templates->Windows Components->Remote Desktop Services->Remote Desktop Connection Client->Do not allow passwords to be saved

So, I’ve been able to work around this problem because I have a “Grandfathered” Windows 7 workstation with ASG and also ThinkVantage Password Manager Version 4.70.2.0 by Lenovo Group Limited. With the help of this configuration, when I activate an ASG connection instead of stopping at the error message shown in the attached screenshot named ASG_Only.jpg

The fact is that my Windows 7 + Password Manager detects the ASG connection problem and quickly engages the interaction and actually sends the password and the connections completes successfully without further complication as you can see in the image named ASG_Plus_PM.jpg which is as good as I could capture as it flashes so fast.

The problem now is that we’re deprecating Windows 7 in our environment and we have no choice besides using Windows 10. Unfortunately ThinkVantage Password Manager has been discontinued and it is not compatible with Windows 10, so there is no more help to the ASG connection, therefore we have to type the password every time we connect, which is quite a big inconvenience.

In my type of work, sometimes I have to simultaneously connect to a couple of dozen servers, which is so easy with ASG as I just right-click the folder and connect to all, and as I work with them, by the time the sessions lockout after 10 minutes of inactivity for some of them, I can just right-click and reconnect with no problem whatsoever. Well… those days are gone Sad

That’s why I'm contacting you to see if ASG in its infinite wisdom, could somehow reproduce the effect that the combination of ASG and Password Manager accomplish by detecting the authentication failure condition after receiving the first “correct saved password” coming from ASG credentials, and then waiting for the appropriate error dialog box to finish painting, then send the credentials again?
Oh!, please tell me that you’ll look into it? Question  I know that it is quite a task! Exclamation I’m 100% sure that anyone in a situation similar to ours will be ever so thankful with ASG for finding a solution to this quandary.
Thank you for the time invested in this scenario! Smile