Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upgrade from 2012 to 2018
Hi 
We are in the process of upgrading a ASG-Remote desktop 2012 to newest version (ASG-Remote desktop 2018). I am a bit new to this but what is the quickest way of doing this?
* Install fresh ASG-Remote desktop 2018, then add (or import from .vre file)
or
* Do a step by step upgrade from version 2012 to version 2018?

We have quite a bit of remote connections to be managed, with different credentials for different users.
So a follow up question here is, how to best migrate that data for all the different users across the data version upgrade.
First install 2018 version - create a new environment inside ASG 2018 - then select "Environment=>Upgrade from 2012" and choose your old data source - the data will be read and transferred to your new environment...
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
(06-04-2018, 10:17 AM)DevOma Wrote: First install 2018 version - create a new environment inside ASG 2018 - then select "Environment=>Upgrade from 2012" and choose your old data source - the data will be read and transferred to your new environment...

Thanks!

I expect not much further issues.
Just to be on the safe side:
From what you are saying, there should be no issues with installing the 64bit 2018 release alongside the 32bit 2012 release right?

I am guessing there is enough updates on the MS SQL server side that I should install the MS SQL server version of ASG remote desktop 2018, but specify another location for the new installation of MS SQL server. Correct?

5 years of time is long in respect to computer software, so the reasonable thing is to make sure to have an updated version of MS SQL server software also.
Before we start upgrading the actual database and its content.

//Crybs
You can install every main version side by side on one computer. No problem, no conflicts. You can use the newest version of MS SQL or some older version (should be newer than version 2008 :-)

You can use the same instance for the sql server or you can use a new instance - make no difference because upgrade from 2012 is "reading content from old version" and "transfer it to a new database scheme into the new environment" - but if you have huge log data you should remove this data before you start upgrading - else you could run into a timeout issue :-)
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
(06-04-2018, 11:38 AM)DevOma Wrote: You can install every main version side by side on one computer. No problem, no conflicts. You can use the newest version of MS SQL or some older version (should be newer than version 2008 :-)

You can use the same instance for the sql server or you can use a new instance - make no difference because upgrade from 2012 is "reading content from old version" and "transfer it to a new database scheme into the new environment" - but if you have huge log data you should remove this data before you start upgrading - else you could run into a timeout issue :-)

Thanks!

There is not too much logging from what I know. If I have 400MB - 500MBish of database file, with all connections and everyting I am assuming this is well below 'huge data values', thus timououts should not be an issue.

One more thing:
From the forums I gather that Oracle DB might not be supported, but regular MSSQL is supported. Correct?
I am looking into some backup scheme that might be made a bit easier with some options to go on here. :-)
Yes only MSSQL is supported :-)
Regards/Gruss
Oliver