Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upgrade from 2012 to 2017
My department is currently using ASG Remote Desktop 2012 (version 7.3.4144.0), and I am in the process of upgrading us to match the rest of the company (2017 version 10.0.5564.0).

Since our database is different than the one everyone else is using, which is the approved process?
  1. Merge our 2012 connections/credentials to the 2017 database
  2. Create a new temporary 2017 database, upgrade the 2012 database into that temporary database, and then merge the temporary database data to the existing 2017 database
Hi,

first: version 2017 is not the newest version - you should use version 2018 instead...

You should backup your 2017 database before trying to merge with 2012 data - it is possible to "Upgrade 2012 data directly into your 2017 database" - do not check "Overwrite/Delete existing data, else everything will be deleted"

Or you create a new environment with version 2017 - upgrade your data from 2012 - then export your data from the running 2017 version and import it to the new environment.

Be sure that you always have a backup for the database you import/merge data.
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
Quote:first: version 2017 is not the newest version - you should use version 2018 instead...
Unfortunately 2018 is not an available option at this time - it would possibly be a phase 2 project due to increased scope.

Do databases need to be created from within the application or can they be initially provisioned from within SQL? I assume the backups can be handled with a regular SQL backup in SSMS.
Both is possible - you have to choose the appropriate option in the Environment wizard (an empty database must be filled with the database scheme) - and yes backups can be handled via MSSQL Management Studio
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
Thanks for your help. We did the following:

1. Make a copy of the 2012 database (or make a backup, whatever makes sense)
2. Make an empty database
3. Install 2017 client, point it at the empty database
4. Choose Upgrade of 2012 environment, point at (copied) 2012 database

Things went straightforward from there. I decided that it was a good time to run the data optimizer as well, which worked without issue