Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Errors with UAC within RDP session + more errors
Hi,
Recently, i've seen experiencing some really annoying problems with ASG Remote Desktop with the RDP connections.  These issues started out when connecting into Windows10 machines, but now the problem has extended to windows 7 & windows 8.1 machines too. 

The scenario is as follows..
I use my laptop (Windows 10, v1703) with ASG Remote Desktop installed to connect into several workstation machines.  I connect using RDP as the protocol.
- Whilst inside the RDP sessions, whenever i need to elevate my credentials (i.e. get a UAC popup) the session freezes for a very long time (sometimes 30 seconds, sometimes several minutes or more).  If i then enter my UAC credentials it then also takes ages to return back to the normal desktop...Same thing if i press the cancel button on the UAC prompt.  
- I also notice that initiating an RDP session (or Citrix ICA session) from WITHIN these RDP sessions, it frequently fails or doesn't work properly.  It either just doesn't connect, or it suffers from really long delays.

If i DON'T use ASG Remote Desktop, and instead use the NATIVE Windows RDP client (or even the Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection Manager), i do not suffer from any of these issues.  This makes me think that the RDP client that is build into the ASG software is at fault.
My company has very strict security policies in place, some of the settings that we have to use are:
- UAC Settings are set to "ALWAYS NOTIFY"
- RDP Clipboard redirection in group policy is disabled on a number of servers & workstations, but not all of them.
- RDP Client Drive mapping in group policy is disabled on a number of servers & workstations, but not all of them.

I have found that if i disable ALL of the options under "Resources > "Redirect the following devices" in the ASG RDP configuration against the client connection object, then a number of my issues go away.  It doesn't seem to resolve all of my issues though, and its very annoying not to have copy & paste available.

I know Microsoft have made a number of changes in recent times regarding RDP patching & most recently CredSSP security patches, and I wonder if this could be related at all.

Has anyone experienced anything similar, or have any suggestions ?
At the moment i'm pretty much having the use alternative software because ASG just isn't working properly Sad

p.s. I can replicate these issues on several machines so it isn't localized to just my machine.

Thanks!
Rumpole
We will try to reproduce the issue and give you feedback...
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
(18-06-2018, 03:01 PM)DevOma Wrote: We will try to reproduce the issue and give you feedback...

Thanks,

By the way, not sure if this information is relevant to ASG?  Perhaps it is, if ASG uses 'FreeRDP' as part of its software..?
https://blog.royalapplications.com/2018/...royal-tsx/

Regards,
Rumpole
No we don't use FreeRDP
Regards/Gruss
Oliver