Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting Errors Upgrading 2012 to 2018 Database
I've created a new 2018 Database and then used the Migration wizard inside of 2018 to copy the 2012 data over and I get a Migration Aborted error (see attached). While working with the SQL DBA, we see that the Windows User has SA, authenticated and was able to create the database. The DBA sees no errors when we turn up debugging and he's not sure what the errors in the attached mean.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Did you really specify the correct 2012 database? Because the error occur on the very first statement in upgrade process - and it seems that a stoed proc cannot be accessed correctly... Please check the database access and specifications of the version 2012 database
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
(24-07-2018, 10:55 AM)DevOma Wrote: Did you really specify the correct 2012 database? Because the error occur on the very first statement in upgrade process - and it seems that a stoed proc cannot be accessed correctly... Please check the database access and specifications of the version 2012 database

I'm specifying the only database that currently is currently in use.  Testing the connection succeeds and our DBA does show the authentication to be successful.  Is it possible that the database that we are using is not currently at the 2012 level?  Can my DBA check anything in the database to confirm it is at 2012?  We initially purchased and installed in 2014 and have licensed ASG each year.  It does seem like I did a database upgrade previously when the licensees moved from being in a file to being stored in the database. 

I'm not personally a DBA but can consult our DBA as needed.
Which version do you use currently? You should see in Titleor Info=>About - please ensure that it is 2012 - if it is 2015 or higher you can directly open the database with version 2018 and you will be asked to migrate the data.

The database connection test do not check the content of the database - so only the connection is checked. But again the error show that you do not access a valid 2012 database - perhaps it is already upgraded to 2015?
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
If you want to check it directly on the database - the old database structure has always some prefixes in table and stored proc names - like vCC... (tables: vCCConfiguration, vCCDataItems, ...) - the new one does not have these prefixes - table names are Items, ItemProperties, ItemPropertiesUsage, ...
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
(07-08-2018, 10:04 PM)DevOma Wrote: Which version do you use currently? You should see in Titleor Info=>About - please ensure that it is 2012 - if it is 2015  or higher you can directly open the database with version 2018 and you will be asked to migrate the data.

The database connection test do not check the content of the database - so only the connection is checked. But again the error show that you do not access a valid 2012 database - perhaps it is already upgraded to 2015?

My ASG version is 2018 but it appears the version on the help about pull down is 11.0.5988.1.  Do I need to first install version 12 of ASG to upgrade to 12 and then migrate to 2018?
If you want to upgrade to version 2018 I guess you have used an older version before - else I do not know what you want to upgrade???
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
(08-08-2018, 01:48 PM)DevOma Wrote: If you want to upgrade to version 2018 I guess you have used an older version before - else I do not know what you want to upgrade???

We have been an ASG customer since 2014 and are now using 2018 version of the RemoteDesktop Client.  In the environment pulldown menu of the 2018 client there is an option to upgrade  2012 environment which I'm interpreting as a required upgrade but are you saying we are already at the latest database schema/version and the upgrade is not needed?  I was thinking that each client upgrade would also require a database schema update.
No - if try to access an old database version with your client you will be prompted to upgrade your database - if it is 2012 or older you have to it manually by creating a new environment and read the data from 2012 database.

After upgrading the database all clients with latest version will have access to the database! A database scheme can be upgraded only once.
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
I had our DBA run a query and it appears it's an older database with the VCC prefixes. So I'm back to square one. I create a new environment and try to read the data from the old database and get the error in the jpg at the beginning of this thread. Is there any way I can work with a real person and setup a remote session/phone call?
I'm a real person :-) But we do not make any support via remote session/phone.

Once again - with which client version do you work before you install version 2018? Was it really version 2012? You need to know which version you are using - I know that you have installed version 2018 now but I want to know which version do used before?!? If you have a database you need a version with which you can access this database and worked all the time...

If your working version is 2015, 2016, 2017 the database scheme will be upgraded automatically if you access your database with version 2018 (Build version is 11.xxx) - if your old running version is really 2012 and you type in the correct database access user you will not get the error from your attached picture - it is possible that you specified a user who has access to the database instance but NOT allowed to read data from your database - so you should try with the same database user like you work with version 2012 or use an sa-account to access the database...

But first and I asked before - with which version did you work before you installed version 2018??? This is quite important...
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
(30-08-2018, 10:23 AM)DevOma Wrote: I'm a real person :-) But we do not make any support via remote session/phone.

Once again - with which client version do you work before you install version 2018? Was it really version 2012? You need to know which version you are using - I know that you have installed version 2018 now but I want to know which version do used before?!? If you have a database you need a version with which you can access this database and worked all the time...

If your working version is 2015, 2016, 2017 the database scheme will be upgraded automatically if you access your database with version 2018 (Build version is 11.xxx) - if your old running version is really 2012 and you type in the correct database access user you will not get the error from your attached picture - it is possible that you specified a user who has access to the database instance but NOT allowed to read data from your database - so you should try with the same database user like you work with version 2012 or use an sa-account to access the database...

But first and I asked before - with which version did you work before you installed version 2018??? This is quite important...

We have upgraded each year.  Prior to 2018, we had 2017, prior to that we had 2016, 2015 and then a big jump to 2012.  So we started with 2012, 2015, 16, 17, 18.
We have upgraded each year. Prior to 2018, we had 2017, prior to that we had 2016, 2015 and then a big jump to 2012. So we started with 2012, 2015, 16, 17, 18.

Also, I do have SA.
Your initial error message was from "Upgrade from version 2012" - so if you have already version 2017 running - you just need to open your 2017 database with version 2018 and it will be migrated (if necessary)
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
Per your guidance on 8/8, we see VCC prefixes in our database which I'm understanding as being indicative of an old 2012 database schema. When I try to migrate that in 2018, I get the error that started this thread. Are you saying the VCC prefixes are ok or does that mean our database needs to be upgraded?
Yes it seems then that you have an 2012 or older database

Are you allowed to zip a backup of that database and send it to me? Else I don't know how we should go on... If you upload a backup file (from MS SQL Management Studio) and send me a link where to download via Private Message I would test it asap...
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
(28-11-2018, 02:24 PM)DevOma Wrote: Yes it seems then that you have an 2012 or older database

Are you allowed to zip a backup of that database and send it to me? Else I don't know how we should go on... If you upload a backup file (from MS SQL Management Studio) and send me a link where to download via Private Message I would test it asap...

I've asked our DBA.  Are usernames/passwords cached, non-encrypted?
Usernames can be read, passwords are encrypted.

If you want you can backup / restore your database (duplicate for manipulating) - then just update the sensitive information with the following SQL (in your test database)

UPDATE vRDCredentials SET Username = 'test', Domain = 'domain', Password = ''

And then make a backup from this database - all sensitive information is gone now!

I just want to execute a migration process to see if it is working or not - and if not I will find out why :-)
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
(04-12-2018, 08:49 AM)DevOma Wrote: Usernames can be read, passwords are encrypted.

If you want you can backup / restore your database (duplicate for manipulating) - then just update the sensitive information with the following SQL (in your test database)

UPDATE vRDCredentials SET Username = 'test', Domain = 'domain', Password = ''

And then make a backup from this database - all sensitive information is gone now!

I just want to execute a migration process to see if it is working or not - and if not I will find out why :-)

Thanks, to what e-mail address can I send the Sharefile link?
asg.rd@asg.com or send me a private message
Regards/Gruss
Oliver