Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Export does not include everything
I have the latest version and patch 2018 P5. When I export my current environment like I always have, it doesn't export a lot of the settings. In fact, my export file from version 2017 was about 2,000 Kb, but when I export it in version 2018 I only get 510 Kb. Then when I delete the environment and import the latest version 2018, a lot of the settings are not properly imported, I have to go back to my version 2017 export.
Can you specify which data you have lost after export and import again? I guess you are using ASG-RD in file mode?!? We will then try to check that...

To upgrade from 2017 to 2018 you do not need to import export your data - just open your settings.xml with newest version (if you don't know that)
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
I am attaching screenshots of the properties of the same connection before and after I export/import, this shows what's missing afterwards.
The reason I do export/import of the RDE file is not to upgrade, it is because I want to reimage my machine, so before I reimage my machine I test to be sure everything was exported correctly. When I do the export, I let everything selected by default, the only thing is not selected are the Logs. I've also tried with the logs, with and without encryption.
You are right, I am using it in File mode, not SQL.
I've also uninstalled the application completely and installed it again, same thing happens.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Ok - perhaps only the "Roles" of the root connections object is the problem - please check all roles on the Connections root and check again if all properties are now correct - I will check why the root roles are not in the export
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
I don't really use all roles, but by default everything is selected except HTTP/S, VMWare, HyperV and Active Directory.
I only use RDP and Credentials, which are selected.
I think it's just the roles definition on the root connections object - I see that the roles are disbaled when creating a new file based environment on the root - and perhaps this is an issue this is not overridden by import (we will check that) - so please try to activate your roles on the root and just have a look if everything is as you need - I don't think that data is not imported - perhaps you have some "lost" data in your old environment - you could check that through the DataOptimizer - if there are items that are "without valid parent object" these items will be deleted your data source.

We tried some export / imports regarding 2017 environment and 2018 but we can't find any data that is lost (only the Roles on the root object).
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
This problem I am facing is new to 2018. I've always done the same thing on previous versions, and never had a problem.
There is definitely lost data, because when I compare an export file from 2017 vs. 2018, the 2018 is less than half of the 2017 size. When I import a 2017 export I get everything, but when I import a 2018 I don't get the stuff I showed you.
The root Roles are all enabled, see attached screenshot.
I've also ran the data optimizer and still have the same problem.
Any help is much appreciated.
Thank you.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

And we found the bug - the Roles data will be loaded if you open Properties dialog of any object - and then it will be cached - the export tried to access the cached data if it was not present an empty list was used instead of loading the roles data. So if you import this file the Roles of Root object was not updated like in your old environment and you can't see the Roles on the objects.

We will fix it - to ensure the right export you need to first open any connection in Properties dialog - and then do your export! Just try...
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
Yes, that seems to do the trick. Thank you.