Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[FEATURE REQUEST] Password variable from credentials (G)
Sad 
I would like to know if the ability to pass %Password% from a credentials object is limited to Private because of a technical limitation or design?

Our organization has numerous technicians who provide remote support via various VPN software. I would like to centralize the credentials but cannot do it using %Password%. I can get around it by putting the password in %CredentialsDescription% but it is not desirable to have the password in plain text.

This is what I am attempting to do in an external app, which is then called as Pre Ext App. %Description% contains the phonebook entry.

Filename: C:\WINDOWS\system32\rasdial.exe
Arguments: %Description% %Username% %Password% /phonebook:\\server\rasphone.pbk

I believe %Password% from Public Credentials would be helpful and no more of a security risk than any other credentials stored here.

Regards
Stephen
Hi,

this is by design and cannot be changed. We thought that it would harm the security requirements of most companies, if we allow to use this variable also with public credentials.
But we will think about to implement it as an option in a future version of vRD.
Grüße/Regards

Thomas
How is it less secure to store and pass a VPN password to an external app, which I now need to do in plain text, than to pass (for example) a Domain Administrator password to an RDP session?
Surely you should allow a company to make their own policies and not try to limit them by what you might consider best practice??
Hi,

I agree. So with next version we will offer this as an option. So it is up to you (the administrator) to use it or not.
Grüße/Regards

Thomas
Hi,
I think that it's completely necessary, I'm trying to configure WinSCP (as External Application) in my Linux servers for all the users and it's impossible because I've to use private credentials.

Kind regards.

Jorge Navarro