Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Closing Treeview (G)
vRD 2010 is AWESOME. Among many other things, I love the External Apps. I live in this program all day long. It's incredibly useful. Thanks!

I run vRD in a restored window on a wide-screen hi-res notebook. There are 2 reasons I sometimes close the Treeview pane:

Reason 1. (Most often) to get a little more space on my local computer's Desktop to view another application, such as a KB article, side-by-side with vRD. But the vRD window remains the same size, so I have to drag the border to reduce the window width and gain the Desktop space.

When I want Treeview back, the vRD window again remains the same size. And again, I have to resize it to "uncompress" the open RDP sessions.

Reason 2. To increase the RDP Desktop without resizing the vRD window, which the current functionality accomodates well.

So keep the existing << button on the right side that widens the RDP pane size while keeping the vRD window the same size, and add a >> button added on the other side that decreases the vRD window size while keeping the RDP pane the same size.
Did you check the possibility to hide the whole treeview by clicking on the button "Treeview" in the menu bar? Sounds like that this would solve your problem.
Grüße/Regards

Thomas
A picture is worth 1000 words, isn't it! The screenshots below show what I would like vRD to do when I close the Treeview:

Currently, when the Treeview is closed, the gray area on either side     is just wasted display space.

I work with Treeview open, and the vRD window is sized for a comfortably sized Desktop in the remote machine. I'd only be closing Treeview temporarily to uncover other programs' windows, or (in this example) my Desktop icons. Right now I don't close Treeview at all because it doesn't accomplish anything to do so. I either minimize vRD or use the Taskbar to bring another program up over the top of it. But being able to temporarily shrink vRD to show (for example) a list of computers in Excel     by closing Treeview would be very helpful.
Hi,

maybe I do have a workaround for your problem.
When connecting to a server using tabbed mode with auto fit the screen resolution will fit to the area of the tab (e.g. 1024x768), which is of course a bit smaller than the resolution of your monitor (e.g. 1400x1050).
If you now deselect the auto size of the tab view and configure a screen resolution, which fits to the one of your monitor (1400x1050) you will get following:
When connecting to the server with the tree view shown, you will see the remote desktop with scroll bars. If you do not like the scrollbars, than you either can select RDP|Smart sizing in the optional toolbar or go to the connection properties of that connection to the RDP tab and activate Smart sizing right there.

When you then hide the tree view, you will see the whole desktop without scrollbars and without a grey area.
Grüße/Regards

Thomas
But the vRD window won't get any smaller. That's what I'm looking for. I'd like the vRD window to get narrower by the width of the Treeview when I turn Treeview off.

I don't want the width of the RD pane to change. I just want to see more of whatever else is running underneath it on my Desktop.
JRV Wrote:But the vRD window won't get any smaller. That's what I'm looking for. I'd like the vRD window to get narrower by the width of the Treeview when I turn Treeview off.

I don't want the width of the RD pane to change. I just want to see more of whatever else is running underneath it on my Desktop.

I am not sure, what you are looking for, but I think you mean that when hide the tree view the whole console of vRD should get automatically smaller, right?
Grüße/Regards

Thomas
Yes, that is what I am looking for. The console window should get smaller by the width of the Treeview, making that space available to view other windows or desktop icons. In my last screenshot, which I repeat here, I drew a big red line around where the Treeview perimeter would be and a big arrow to show where the edge of the window moves when the Treeview is closed. Not sure how to make it any more clear.

And these from my Post #3 show the same thing without the arrows, (and the reason I want this feature...to view what's underneath vRD to be more productive).

With the upconig version it is possible to undock the whole tree view, so that you have the posibility to place it somewhere on the desktop. It is not that exactly what you are looking for, but maybe it helps a bit.
Grüße/Regards

Thomas
I'll look forward to that. If it can be easily recalled from the vRD toolbar, that might work pretty well.

Another possibility that occurs to me: Auto-hide the Treeview. Similar concept to an Auto-Hide taskbar, ribbon, or sidebar...hover the mouse pointer near the left edge of the vRD window and the Treeview slides out, or slides OVER the Remote Desktop pane. When you're done, it auto-hides again.
JRV Wrote:I'll look forward to that. If it can be easily recalled from the vRD toolbar, that might work pretty well.

Another possibility that occurs to me: Auto-hide the Treeview. Similar concept to an Auto-Hide taskbar, ribbon, or sidebar...hover the mouse pointer near the left edge of the vRD window and the Treeview slides out, or slides OVER the Remote Desktop pane. When you're done, it auto-hides again.

Good idea!
I will put it on our list.
Grüße/Regards

Thomas