Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] How to import list of servers into vRD2010?
Hi everyone,

I have a dilema. I have a large list of servers, which I would like to import into vRD2010, so I can automatically connect to all of them, without connecting individually. They all use the same credentials.
This saves me a tremendous time.

I am also using the Vrd 1.5 freeware where I accomplished this using a script posted on this forum. This script converted a txt file (list of hosts) into a .vrd file. It works great. I tried the same script and the same process on the vRD2010 but it fails. I also noticed that it's using .vre extension.

My list is in csv and contains hostname and IP and it's all Windows OS.

Your help will be very much appreciated how I can accomplish this in vRD2010.

Thanks very much.

JP
vRD supports CSV import, the vRD CSV format looks like this:
"DISPLAYNAME";"HOSTNAME";"MAC-ADDRESS";"http://myurl.com";"RDP";"3389";""
The easiest way to convert you CSV into a vRD CSV is Microsoft Excel.
Andreas Mariotti Wrote:vRD supports CSV import, the vRD CSV format looks like this:
"DISPLAYNAME";"HOSTNAME";"MAC-ADDRESS";"http://myurl.com";"RDP";"3389";""
The easiest way to convert you CSV into a vRD CSV is Microsoft Excel.

Hi,

thanks for your reply. I've seen the CSV import. My spreadsheet has about 4,000 servers with different fields, hostname, IP, environment, manufacturer, etc. It doesn't have MAC, RDP port, displayname, etc.

Do you have a script, which could convert a csv into your format, take hostname, and populate RDP and 3389, since these are standard for all.

If I do this manually, create a csv file with the above headings, but keep all the MAC, url, port the same but only change the Displayname and hostname, will this error out, since the rest will be identical?

Thanks,

JP
I don’t know the format of your CSV, and everybody else has anther CSV format, such a script don’t make sense. Please use Excel to bring your CSV into the correct format; this is done in 2-3 minutes. You can leave MAC and RDP port empty; use the hostname as display name, etc.
in Excel paste your server names into column A >> use this formulae in column B =""&A1&";"&A1&";;;RDP;3389;"

now copy and paste the contents of Column B into a new spreadsheet >> save as .csv >> import this into Visionapp.
Thanks for the formula, it works except it doesn't work if you have to use IPs for connections and want to put in a description of the server.

Does anyone have anything that can help with this? It takes a lot longer than a couple minutes to format a CSV sheet in this format, so a script would be helpful, if there was something that would at least do the conversion so that visionapp rdp users had a choice of what to put in their excel sheet columns such as "name", "description", connection type, port, IP address, etc it would be much better. Then the support policy could be that you support this excel sheet layout, and run the script to create the csv file. Right now it's painful to get the csv format right when there are a few hundred to thousands of servers.

(29-12-2009, 04:40 PM)griff108 Wrote: in Excel paste your server names into column A >> use this formulae in column B =""&A1&";"&A1&";;;RDP;3389;"

now copy and paste the contents of Column B into a new spreadsheet >> save as .csv >> import this into Visionapp.

Has anyone come up with an easy to use formula that will work to include folder names, IP addresses, etc?

(25-08-2011, 06:31 PM)virtuallynothere Wrote: Thanks for the formula, it works except it doesn't work if you have to use IPs for connections and want to put in a description of the server.

Does anyone have anything that can help with this? It takes a lot longer than a couple minutes to format a CSV sheet in this format, so a script would be helpful, if there was something that would at least do the conversion so that visionapp rdp users had a choice of what to put in their excel sheet columns such as "name", "description", connection type, port, IP address, etc it would be much better. Then the support policy could be that you support this excel sheet layout, and run the script to create the csv file. Right now it's painful to get the csv format right when there are a few hundred to thousands of servers.

(29-12-2009, 04:40 PM)griff108 Wrote: in Excel paste your server names into column A >> use this formulae in column B =""&A1&";"&A1&";;;RDP;3389;"

Hi,

hmm I think the structure has changed a bit since 2010. Normally we recommend updating to 2011/2012 and then to 2016 to be able to migrate most of the data. I dont know what exactly changed - would have to compare the output by myself - but even then - it's not clear that it's working. If you have a 2016 license you can use it to enable 2011/2012 temporarily for upgrade reasons :-)

Best regards,
Michael

p.s: you can find a desciption of the actual csf-structure in the integrated help of ASG-RD2016 ( Structure of the csv file )
best regards,
Michael -- michael.scholz@asg.com --