Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disable Update Check on Startup
Hi,
I've searched the forums and couldn't find anything, but please point me to it if this has already been answered.

I'm looking for a way to disable the "Check for updates on startup" option for all users.
If I uncheck it while the "Default values" is selected, the setting does not save globally and instead saves to my "personal values". Not sure if this is expected or not.

Is there a GPO, registry, or database value that can be applied to disable this for everyone? We manage our software through VDI apps / SCCM depending and I don't want users downloading updates themselves.

Thanks!
We had the same issue here as well Smile

You'll find the setting for this under -> Tools -> Settings -> Application
If you need to publish this change globally, we did it by creating a .bat script that copies profile.xml to %userprofile%\appdata\Roaming\ASG-RemoteDesktop\8.0\
We also do the same with the environments.xml as we are using a central database and didn't want our users to have to create the environment themselves.
I will add a registry key to overwrite user settings

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ASG-RemoteDesktop2015\UpgradeCheck
or
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ASG-RemoteDesktop2015\UpgradeCheck

set to "false" will prevent update check
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
Thanks DevOma. I've tried both these reg keys and have not noticed any difference in the settings checkbox. Is this something you're planning to add in a future patch release?
Yes, sorry, will be in Patch4 :-)

I wrote "I will add ..."
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
(13-02-2015, 10:28 PM)DevOma Wrote: Yes, sorry, will be in Patch4 :-)

I wrote "I will add ..."

I am on patch7, and it does not work. Is it a REG_SZ key or other?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

KL_Dane
If you are on 64bit OS please try to use

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\ASG\RemoteDesktop2015
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
(08-08-2016, 10:45 AM)DevOma Wrote: If you are on 64bit OS please try to use

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\ASG\RemoteDesktop2015

I have tried using 4 regkeys, 2 for x86 and 2 for x64, at the same time. It is still checking for updates on startup and the setting is marked in ASG:

KL_Dane
Which version are you using?
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
(08-08-2016, 10:33 AM)KL_Dane Wrote:
(13-02-2015, 10:28 PM)DevOma Wrote: Yes, sorry, will be in Patch4 :-)

I wrote "I will add ..."

I am on patch7, and it does not work. Is it a REG_SZ key or other?

(04-10-2016, 09:33 AM)DevOma Wrote: Which version are you using?

I am on patch7.
KL_Dane
Ok, I have the same issue on my test machine - on local development machine it is working - need some investigation to find the reason for that...
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
I tried again on my test systems - and it's working - please check the menu "?=>Check for updates" - if it is working this menu should be disabled and no update check should be run at startup
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
(05-10-2016, 11:32 AM)DevOma Wrote: I tried again on my test systems - and it's working - please check the menu "?=>Check for updates" - if it is working this menu should be disabled and no update check should be run at startup

When you say disabled, you mean unmarked right?
I am pushing these registry changes through a GPO, and when checking the registry on a user laptop manually, the registry changes are there. But so are the mark in 'check for updates on startup' in ASG.
KL_Dane
Not the settings - please check the menu under "?=>Check for updates" - if this menu is disabled there will no check at startup
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
And thats is correct thanks Wink
My users report they don't get the pop-up anymore.

Thank you for your assistance.
KL_Dane