Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SSH authentication error
I'm unable to connect to SSH hosts using ASGRD 2015 Update 4. I get an error message "Connection failed: User authentication failed" (I am manually typing credentials, so it is not a stored credential problem). I am able to connect using vRD 2012 and by Putty, with no issues.
I can't reproduce your issue - if I connect via SSH and no credentials there is a password prompt inside the SSH session and that works correctly (tryed with Putty)
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
Thanks for the non-help.
Perhaps you can try to assign some creds inside ASGRD and assign them to your connection - did you try to use Poderosa instead of Putty? Did you try to change the password? Any special characters?

It's always hard to find a solution if somebody tells you "password is not working" - I can try myself, but that mostly do not cover the same problem...
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
Yes, I understand...but "it works for me" doesn't help at all.

Ponderosa does not work either; same error. So, Putty and vRD2012 are working, RD 2015 and Ponderosa are not. I checked the auth.log on the host and see the following:

2015-03-11T15:44:48Z sshd[1352113]: Connection from 172.20.202.86 port 51797
2015-03-11T15:44:49Z sshd[1352113]: Failed password for root from 172.20.202.86 port 51797 ssh2
2015-03-11T15:44:49Z sshd[1352113]: fatal: Read from socket failed: Connection reset by peer

So, the connection is being made, but the authentication is being actively refused. Firewall and permitroot settings should be ok since I'm able to log in with the same credentials using other clients. So, what is different about the Ponderosa and RD2015 login process? Visually, I see that vRD2012 and Putty take me to a console window and THEN prompt for login; RD2015 prompts me for a login box first.

More information: stored credential yields the same error. The password is simple 7-character alphanumeric only with no special characters. This issue seems to happen on my Linux machines (VMware ESXi, SUSE, Redhat, etc), but I'm able to log in with no errors to network devices (Cisco, Citrix, Brocade).
The login dialog should only appear if you are using Poderosa - with Putty the password prompt should be inside the console session.

We upgraded to the latest Putty version - but in communication with Putty nothing changed - Poderosa is exactly the same as in ASGRD 2012...

Did you try to use Putty standalone - call it from the install dir of ASGRD 2015 - try to use it without ASGRD - do we could check if the password communication is the reason or not...
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
Thanks Oliver. I'm just going to uninstall ASGRD 2015 and use a different tool. I can't tell if you're not reading my posts or just not understanding, and I really don't have time to run in circles. Yes, ASGRD 2015 and Ponderosa are the same, as you say, and as I stated neither one of those work. I also told you previously "I am able to connect using vRD 2012 and by Putty, with no issues", so I really don't thing trying the same thing again will help further this case. Its not a Putty issue and its not a credential issue.

Thank you for your assistance.