Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
XML config file corruption/deletion
What I’ve noticed is that my .XML file will get corrupted and then I have to restore from a backup. It happens frequently enough that I’ve taken up making a manual ZIP backup of the XML file and keeping a few months worth. This seems to happen more frequently when I’m working over the VPN, and I think I know (partially) why.

My XML file is stored on my F: drive which is a network share used by 200+ coworkers. When I'm at work, the app opens quickly and rarely has any issues. When the VPN is slow and I open up the Windows Explorer to that directory after opening VisionApp, I can see that my XML file is either ZERO bytes, or something much smaller than the usually expected size (around 2.8MB).

If I refresh the Explorer view, I can see that the XML file is being rewritten (slowly) – all the while the VisionApp interface is not showing me the connection tree on the left side. If I kill VisionApp off or the VPN connection breaks (or my laptop reboots, or the drive mapping fails for whatever reason), then the XML file is corrupted and I have to restore from backup.

To me this sounds like a really bad bug that might only be experienced on people who have their XML on slow connections or have occasional network connectivity issues. IMHO as a programmer in a past life, there is no reason the ONE AND ONLY COPY of the configuration file should be getting overwritten just because the application is starting up. At minimum it should be renaming the existing one to a new name just in case of failures…

Is there a configuration setting I have overlooked that is causing this?
Yes you are right - we had this backup mechanism in version 2012 and have to ensure that this is reimplemented in 2015
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
Thanks for the confirmation of the bug. Can you add my email to the bug tracking system so I'm alerted when this patch is ready - it easily impacts me weekly.