Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VMWare VM consoles cause Unhandled Exception
I am running ASG RD 2015 and I have set up an external application to launch the VSphere Web Client. Up through patch 5 this worked flawlessly. Starting with patch 6, whenever I try to launch a VM console, which launches a separate instance of Internet Explorer, the window (new tab) opens but remains empty. Refreshing the window brings up the Unhandled Exception error. The log shows the following:

Unhandled Exception
An unhandled error occured in the application. You should restart the application to prevent further problems.
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

---------------------------

at CloudAdminUI.Dialogs.CustomPropertiesDialog.LoadData(IBaseItem baseItem)
at CloudAdminUI.Dialogs.CustomPropertiesDialog.InternalInit(IBaseItem baseItem, AdvTree sourceTree)
at CloudAdminUI.Dialogs.CustomPropertiesDialog..ctor(IBaseItem baseItem, AdvTree sourceTree)
at CloudAdminConsole.MainForm.OpenPropertiesDialog(IBaseItem baseItem)
at CloudAdminUI.DockControls.ConnectionControl.btnProperties_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

I have tried running in both standard and elevated environments with the same result. If I roll back to patch 5 the problem disappears, and the VM console window opens normally. I upgraded to patch 7 and the problem reappeared. I will be downgrading to patch 5 to get the functionality back, but would like to resolve this so that I am able to stay current.
Can you give me your arguments for the external app - so I could try to reproduce...

Did you change the default "webbrowser" to FireFox/GeckoFX? Or do you still use IE?
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
First, a correction. It is not an External Application. It is an HTTP/S connection. My apologies. The connection is to a url for my local VCenter server which loads the VSphere Web Client (I would give you the url but you wouldn't be able to connect). This connects successfully. It is when I attempt to launch the console window for a particular VM that the problem occurs. Initially the browser was set to Internet Explorer and when I launch the VM console a new tab appears. The tab name is Internet Explorer but the window remains blank. If I right click on the tab and select properties, I get the unhandled exception error message. The same one that appears in the log. Your mention of changing browsers is not something I had tried, so I reloaded Patch 7 and changed the default browser to Firefox for HTTP/S connections. Tried the same connection but to my surprise the VM console tab reported Internet Explorer and I got the blank window and exception. I then created a new connection to eliminate the possibility that the browser was set in the old connection. The result was the same as the first, however, the VM console tab reported Internet Explorer and the unhandled exception. I have returned to Patch 5 and everything is working normally again.

When I make an HTTP/S connection, is there a way to find out which browser is being used once I make the connection? I made the change in browser under the HTTP/S settings. Is that the correct location or did I get something wrong?
First, I can reproduce this with the latest version - I will check it with an older version and check if there are changes between these 2 versions

For Firefox/Gecko - yes globally you can set it in Options=>HTTP/S- and if you add a role "HTTP" in your connection you can override this setting
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
Ok, found the bug - is already fixed and will be in the next patch - all "sub" windows do not work at the moment...
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
That sounds great. I look forward to the fix.