Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connection over
Hi,

I'm trying to conect over VPN to the visionapp database server but I get nothing.

If I turn the VPN off I at lease get an error saying "no connection could be made"

I cannot say that it's a slow connection
Ping statistics for 172.19.196.27:
Packets: Sent = 31, Received = 31, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 19ms, Maximum = 33ms, Average = 25ms
although it needs sometimes to reconnect.

I've checked that all needed sql ports are open trough telnet <server> <port> on the default SQL ports 1433 & 443 and the instance port number.

then I tried with the command I took from the citrix thread with a timeout of 3 mins, but still nothing.

C:\Program Files (x86)\ASG-Remote Desktop 2015\ASGRD.exe" "/dcs:Data Source=<FQDN>\<instance>;Initial Catalog=<dbname>;Integrated Security=False;User ID=<USER>;Password=<ENcrypted>;Connect Timeout=180" /loginintegrated:true /loginsubmit /onlyoneinstance /loginintegrated

We have a world wide license and would like to bring this to our chineesee colleagues too, but if it even won't work over a VPN in the same country.

is there some some test /logs or something I can do to further help investigate this ?
Do you really get no error message? If a timeout is the problem you will get a message that will let you know...

Did you check Application Event Log? Perhaps you can create a new environment - choose "Use existing database" and configure your database while using VPN - at the end the database will be checked - if it is ok, it should work
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
Hi Olivier,

Yes I mean nothing, not even a login screen, otherwise I would have tried making a new connection.
didn't this at event viewer, shame on me.
Faulting application name: ASGRD.exe, version: 8.0.4916.1, time stamp: 0x5583237b
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.3.9600.17415, time stamp: 0x54504ade
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x00014598
Faulting process id: 0x1380
Faulting application start time: 0x01d0c3983dff3033
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\ASG-Remote Desktop 2015\ASGRD.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: a50615ff-2f8b-11e5-828b-5065f3bd0eda
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

and
Application: ASGRD.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.NullReferenceException
Stack:
at CloudAdminCommon.Access.DataAccessor.SwitchToOffline()
at CloudAdminCommon.Access.DataAccessor.get_ActiveData()
at CloudAdminCommon.Access.DataAccessor.InitializeUser(Int32)
at CloudAdminCommon.User.UserLogin.InitPassThrough()
at CloudAdminConsole.Helper.EnvironmentLogin.Login(Boolean, CloudAdminCommon.Helper.CmdLineArguments)
at CloudAdminConsole.Program.Main(System.String[])
From stacktrace I can see that "PasThrough" is activated - or you try to login via commandline - could you try without passthrough - so try to login via "Login dialog" when vpn is active - then we might see if it is a problem to connect via vpn or a timeout problem...
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
Hi,

my colleague is at home this afternoon and was testing the application;

He got more and less then I did.
he at least got the logon screen, but did not find any entries in the event viewer. Guess I have to check my machine then.

But My Colleague could press login with a timeout of 180, but after 2 minutes (would be 120 seconds) He got the logon screen back.

I've asked to create a custom connection and the test was ok.
We're guessing that the database copy takes too long.
at the office it takes 55 seconds before the program become usable. Packets: Sent = 60, Received = 60, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Minimum = 7ms, Maximum = 17ms, Average = 10ms
from the home user :
Packets: Sent = 60, Received = 60, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Minimum = 21ms, Maximum = 252ms, Average = 55ms

is there any debug mode / user log we can generate ?
Database size as reported in SQL server management studio => properties : 1279,06 MB
Wow - 1,2 GB? We want to publish one more patch with some fixes and some new features (planned for next week) - after that it is planned to implement an "database optimizer"...

Yes, I'm sure you are running in an timeout when I see the size of the database - don't know if it really make sense to increase timeout to 10min...

If you have some protocols you are not using - perhaps only in some folders - you should use MultiEdit for this folder - uncheck the roles you do not need and very importent "Delete data for that roles" - that could decrease your database a lot... but that will be in the "optimization toolkit" - checking for duplicate data, for unused data, and so on...
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
Hi,

I don't know the structure nor your plans but Can it be an idea to not load everything in one shot but in small slots.?

We don't have any roles assigned, we just use 3 security groups at this moment.
Goto any folder - in the left navigation tree click on "Roles" - there are the roles that are assigned to this folder (or connection) - like the different protocols ASG-RD supports... If you do not need a protocol like SSH, VNC, ICA... you can deselect this role - and you can delete the properties for this role too - the easiest way for that is to use MultiEdit...

And of course you have to check the size of your logs - the database size seems to keep a lot of logs...

But yes you are right - we will optimize the start up and implement a tool to optimize the data asap...
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
You're about right with your log file remark.
I did clean the internal logs, we had copied from 2010 (year and version ) but I did not shrink the files so back to 200MB now.