Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Startup slow
Hi,

I'm running Visionapp 2015 with patch 8. Some of our PC take 10+ minutes to start the app. It hangs after clicking on login.

We are using a central SQL Server DB and integrated authentication.

I have already tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app. Strange thing is that the app starts normally the first time after it has been reinstalled.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Daryn
First you should check the log size with the following command

SELECT Count(*) from LOGS

If it is very high you should reduce your log size in Options

If the problem occur only for some users there might be any data that causes this issue - if it is possible you could send me a backup of your database to analyse it (Backup with MSSQL Management Studio) - asg.rd@asg.com - add a link to this thread
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
I got your db, had a quick look into it - it's not really huge, it starts normally for me...

You told me, that you think the time consumption is before "connecting the db" - do you have full Internet Connection? At startup the certification of the app will be verified - and if this Option is active "check for updates" will run

And you wrote "Test button takes forever" - which TEST-Button do you mean?
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
We're seeing the same thing.

The application logins in and hangs and the loading data for about 30 seconds (same as 2012). When the navigation pane loads it takes another 10 minutes for the application to be functional. All of the buttons are not functional until it has finished fully loading.

I found the following:

SELECT Count(*) from ITEMS => 34569

SELECT Count(*) from LOGS => 6349

The SQL DB is 2482.25 MB.

Has anyone found similar issues?

Thanks!
Do you really have 35k Connections, Folder, Credentials, ...??? Or are there perhaps some "dead" items in your db?

2,5GB is very huge - you can try to disable "Tooltips" and "Session Polling" in Settings

We will publish this week a new patch that has a first Version of "Data Optimizer" implemented - perhaps we could reduce your data with that... if not please let me know - we will investigate more time in Performance after the patch
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
From my 2012 DB which mirrors the 2015 DB:

select count(*) from vRDConnections => 28485

select count(*) from vRDFolders => 6037

We support a significant number of servers, 28k sounds right.

We're currently using this for about 45 users, but the goal is to have about 150 users using the application.

The 2012 app takes about 45 seconds to load, but we don't have slowness issues.

I'll try disabling those settings to see if that improves load times. Good to know about the patch, I'll give it a try when it comes out and let you know.

Thanks!
There are some other possibilities to decrease data amount - not all will be included in the Patch9 Version

The new architecture of 2015 is that you can specify properties on any folder level and inherit these values to all childs - and you can remove roles/properties if you do not need them

For example - if you sync your AD you might not need HTTP settings for those Servers - you can select a folder choose MultiEdit Connections and choose to remove HTTP-role and HTTP-Settings for all Connections... Same for other protocols you might not need

And you can specify data on a (root) folder and inherit these Settings - so you can choose again MultiEdit and remove e.g. some RDP Settings that you want to have always the same - then you need also to specify that the usage is set to "Inherit from parent"...

I do not think that you have 28k different specifications :-) Next step in data optimization will be to search for those values and try to set it automatically (Patch10 :-))
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
When we started we tried using AD Sync, but we wound up with 100K+ rows, which was overkill and made the app very slow in 2012. As a result we query a database and export on the rows we need. They are then converted into a CSV which just has ConnectionID, ConnectionName, ConnectionPort, ConnectionProtocol and FolderName so that it can be synced with 2012.

We have tried leveraging External Apps and custom folder images in the past, but it impacts performance too much, so now we just have RDP, HTTP and SSH connections.

We have just under 480 clients that we support with between 100-250 servers each depending on size, so 28k is just a portion of the servers we are hoping to be able to integrate into the application.

I disabled tooltips and polling as you recommended, but it only slightly (down to 8 minutes or so) improved the load time.

This wasn't an issue with 2012, so we will probably stick with that until this issue is resolved with 2015.
We try to improve Startup and add some Features to decrease data amout with the next patch... starting right now...
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
I have the same problem, database is small, only 137mb - contains about ~4-5000 server entries. I have done a log cleanup in 2012 before I migrated it to 2015. (got conversion problem during migration)

I have done some statistics for 2012 compared to 2015. The values are from the point when the base program have been started - when I press enter to use the SQL connection, to the point when everything is loaded, and the application is no longer processing any data.
The values have been measured with process explorer.

On SQL Level the CPU usage is almost the same, 3.2 Sec CPU time on 2012 vs 3.7 sec on 2015
The big difference is in the program itself.
In 2012 it required 10.3 sec CPU time and 26.3mb disk read time to startup the application.
in 2015 it took more than 5,5 Minute!! to finish, and 30.6mb on disk side.

The only thing what I saw with process explorer - under threads, that it run this procedure:
clr.dll!GetMetaDataInternalInterfaceFromPublicx0x1b03b
for 5 minutes.

So the difference is significant.
We are testing at the moment a data optimization - will be available asap...
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
We have the same issues with ASG RD 2015 (and Patch5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10) on the Windows 7 x64 Clients.
Our environment: SQL 2012 R2 database; 6500 Items/entries;
@Oliver: Have you any news for the data optimization?
It's implemented in Patch10

Administration=>Data Optimizer

You have to run the last 2 steps again and again until there is no optimization possible - the optimizer will only check "one folder level" and optimize the data for that

Please try that - should really improve your data and start up time :-) Make a backup before to ensure everything works as you want :-)
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
@Oliver, okay I made a backup from my database. Then I run the "Data Optimizer" >= 8 times. Now all the optimization points are green. But the start is still at 5 minutes.
That's too long :-( How many objects to you have? Or are there perhaps thousands of log entries in your database?

Is it possible to get a backup from your database for analysing?
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
there are 6683 objects in our database. I delete the logs before I run the "Data Optimizer".

Is it possible to get a backup from your database for analysing? NO
Ok - I had several databases with 5-10k and it took almost 15-30 seconds...

Are you working on WAN? Or is the network connection between client and database LAN? Did you try to disable "Automatic session refresh" and "Tooltips for connections"? Just to see how much difference it is...
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
Sorry, I was not in the office. We are in the LAN and I disable "Automatic session refresh" and "Tooltips for connections" but there is no changes or differences ;-(